WD 4TB Elements Ext Hard Drive for Uniti Star

I bought a Uniti Star a few months ago which I’m very pleased with and I am thinking of buying a WD 4TB Elements external hard drive to use with it for transferring around 1500 CDs from another hard drive (Meridian) and then also to store downloaded/ripped CDs.
Does anyone have any experience of the above WD drive, have you any other suggestions or advice, or have I got it completely wrong ?!
Many thanks

It should be fine. I haven’t used an Elements drive, but I’ve found other WD HDDs to work fine into a Naim streamer. They are not particularly fussy.
You should make sure the drive has been formatted in a format that is compatible with both the streamer and whatever computer you might use with it. Not usually a problem, but if you need to reformat later you will wipe all the data on it, so best to get it right first time.

1 Like

Many thanks Chris - I appreciate your comments and advice.
Regards
Stephen

Not used the 4tb version but the 1tb version worked well for me so it should be fine. You will have to configure it as a music store though, which can be done from the app, if you have stored music on it before you do, choose the keep music option.

1 Like

Many thanks
I probably only need a 2TB drive, but the price difference is only a few £s, but I appreciate your advice as I wouldn’t have known about configuring it and selecting keep music !
Regards
Stephen

I have had the 2TB WD Elements drive for 2 years. No problems so far and it’s got about 300 gb of music files on it, a long way to go to fill it.

1 Like

Thank you
Really good to know - I appreciate it.
Regards
Stephen

Unfortunately, my own experience with Uniti Star and USB hard-drives is not too sunny. Over the last two years I bought a few USB-HDD: 2TB, 4TB, also 8TB powered from an external wali-wart, right now I use 2TB solid-state. The worst experience was with 8TB drive: it would go into ‘sleep’ mode while playing, gets reawaken a split-sec later. Hiccup every 5-10 min while playing music. Things got better with 4TB WD hard-drives, 2-3 sec hiccups happen once an hour. Once I switched to SSD, hiccups got shorter, under 1sec. I followed the advise posted elsewhere by ChrisSU and do not use ‘USB’ option to Play but only “Servers”. I let UnitiStar to format hard-drives, it has the latest firmware [3.5.1(4972)] so my only explanation for these glitches is that I have waay over 1TB of tunes on each h-drive (but always keep under 90% of HDD capacity)

Hi
Many thanks for your response, really interesting and useful info, albeit seems a bit of a nightmare saga ! I guess I’m going to have to ‘suck it and see’, but your info is very valuable. I did also check out some other drives eg Seagate, but the general view seems to be that WD drives are better ie more reliable, than Seagate and as I already use a 1TB WD My Passport (which I’ve had for over 5 years without any problems) for backing up my Mac, I’ll give the 4TB WD Elements unit a shot and will report back in due course. Many thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.