Weak Link?

I have SN3, NDX2 connected via standard cables supplied (Lavender interconnects and power line lite) driving Monitor Audio Silver 8 speakers with 5m of NAC A5 cables each side and REL T9i subwoofer with Kimber Kable connected via speaker terminals. What is the weak link in the chain so that the system would be improved.

Already a very nice system-setup! Congratulations! As far as upgrades are concerned, why not add an XPS-DR or even 555PS power supply to your NDX2? I loved its addition! Succes!

1 Like

Hmmmm. Let me see. Ummm. Nope, can’t see any weak link in there :blush:

2 Likes

A decent rack?
Powerlines are worth adding
Have you tried a Hi-Line IC
The new NPX 300 PS works with the NDX 2…
Dedicated mains radial circuit

1 Like

Thanks for the replies and recommendations, I was expecting the advice on Monitor Audio speakers as these were used in the previous setup comprising of Roksan Caspian m2 and Marantz Sa14-s1 CD player (which are boxed and kept in the store room). I’m happy about there is no recommendation on the speakers, now I can concentrate on upgrade of powerlines as suggested. It is impossible of home demo for the speakers in this part of the world, even the SN3 and NDX2 was blind purchase based on the reviews and recommendations on the naim forum.

1 Like

Most people end up liking a certain characteristic in a speaker, the listening space and the musical genre also influencing preferences.
It’s usually challenging providing a definative speaker recommendation as it’s subjective to an extent and we all have our own ears, the ultimate judge of what we like!
If you like your MA’s stick with them, if you get a chance to demo any other brands at dealers, friends, events, make a note of what you like or dislike and you can refer back to that later as a point of reference.
Proac, Neat, Kudos, ATC, PMC, Focal all brands you’ll see mentioned a fair bit here and ones to try as opportunity to do so presents itself.

3 Likes

Honestly you will always have a weak link in just about every system, at this level you will just be moving the weak link around. So really you need to think about what your end game is hopefully going to be, and head for that as and when you can.

3 Likes

When I added a XPS DR to my NDX2 > SN 2 combination I thought it was a significant improvement. I also found that replacing the standard interconnect with a pre-owned Hi Line to be a modest improvement in the sound

Best to demo at dealer and at home if possible. Good luck with your decision and enjoy the journey…

2 Likes

Keep your MAs mate…I need some company!

1 Like

The monitor áudio are great speakers.

I also have the NDX2 and a Supernait 3, in my case I am loving the Lavender, not that much the hiline, and I only wish to find a cable with the bass, musicality and wide sound the Lavender does with the detail and definition of the audioquest earth or Hiline that produce more realistic illusions.

My speakers are the sopra n1 so the final results are not the same, the hiline is great on textures does not expand too much of the speakers as the lavender, the hiline is an overall more thin sounding more precise and has more focus, the details are easier to follow, but at the cost of musicality, the audioquest earth is superior in all except that adds too much energy to the sound, and that too much is too much for me unfortunately, but with the right track is a rewarding experience.

The NDX2 with the supernait 3 is a great combo, the naim power supply’s are expensive, especially the one for the NDX2, I ordered an Hicap dr and a powerline I hope is a good upgrade when they arrive, tried to find on the forum on what to expect from then but was inconclusive. Some people like with and some without, but could not identify what it will give, when they arrive I will find myself.

1 Like

Turn the sub off and have a thorough exploration of speaker positions. Get those optimised in the room and get used to them before reintroducing the sub. Unless you’ve already done this of course.

I find the Sumiko Masterset method is sometimes useful, usually for free space speakers but it’s recently helped me find positions for my NBLs in a room with plasterboarded walls where they don’t lose their base (I expected I was going to have to replace them after moving).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.