Well I never…. Single wiring my Scm7’s

So having faffed about with different speaker links for my scm7’s , I whipped the back plate off (nice machine screws here, bravo Atc) and the crossover is glued (and might meaty it looks too) to the cabinet base with leads to the binding posts on tabs. I simply unbolted the treble and moved to the bass (must remember to convert back if I sell em) , and blow me a lift in clarity and coherence. They sound more together, not that they were wrong in the first place, but deffo worth doing for 15mins fiddling. And no more loops of wire hanging off the back.

6 Likes

Thanks for the above. Does this mean you can remove the piddly, brass bi-wire jumpers too?

I did the same sort of thing with my old PMCs (I think you may have bought my spare crossovers). Much neater.

Yep… just undo 8mm bolts on the binding post and add the top tags to the bottom and job done

Yes I did! Had a go at upgrading them , with marginal gain

1 Like

Thanks, I will give it a go.

1 Like

Did you make pictures of this, and does it make the warranty void ?

I didn’t , but other than undoing a few bolts there is nothing invasive or permanent. I must add my scm’s were new old stock , built in November 2015 but never opened… so thought by undoing a few bolts there has been no damage done.

1 Like

Nice & clever mod! :ok_hand:t2: :sunglasses:

1 Like

i could go to town and put in wbt posts and solder both wires as the push on tags are very thin… maybe further down the line as that would void any warranty certainly.

I would definitely consider doing this at some point. I’m not a fan of push on tags (understatement) and better posts like WBT can bring a clear improvement, depending on how good the stock posts are.

1 Like

cheap brass id say with no solder buckets. ATC’s classic range have much better single posts by the looks of it.

1 Like

Please! I don’t want to hear that they’ve skimped on my beauties!

1 Like

its the only bit i can see chris - don’t panic!, compared to my dynaudio evokes that had a loose binding posts, which revealed wood screws used to hold the back plate on and a pretty crappy crossover. They are another £400 over the atc’s but the scm’s are better built all day long, and they are a lot of speaker for the money so something has to give, so ill forgive cheaper binding posts!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.