Well that was unfortunate šŸ˜ž

Hmm. I regard insurance as protecting me from life-changing events, not small accidents.

So for example I didnā€™t bother to claim the Ā£500 damage to my car that a French driver did in a supermarchĆ© car park last summer when she grazed it as she pulled out of the space opposite, neither from my insurance nor from herā€™s. Life is too short.

But I did claim (from my insurance) when someone ran into the back of my car fast and put it off the road for 3 months while BMW repaired it. Helpfully on that occasion I was stopped on the road because a policeman had stopped the traffic and saw the whole accident, so all my costs were refunded. But even a no fault claim puts up your motor premium at the next renewal.

Best

David

2 Likes

And these days they check with each other. It is a material fact and non-disclosure can invalidate any claim

Having just gone through the process of finding a new insurer, I was only asked about claims, not losses.
But if I read the OP correctly, it has already been submitted as a claim, and they have said they will pay out.

Incidentally, some insurers offer a protected no-claims discount (at extra cost). Except, apparently, it doesnā€™t stop the price going up when you renew after a claim - you just get a discount on the increased policy cost. Basically, you donā€™t win!

Is that retail price list value? If so it is pleasantly surprising: someone I know who had a recent loss due to water leakage was offered the replacement that the insurance company judged to be current equivalent - or cash but only the value that they would have paid for it, which was clealy wholesale price not retail.

It is yes, they have confirmed what they are paying.

Digressing from thread but be careful with this as (as I understand things), insurance policies & contracts are still covered by the doctrine of ā€˜uberrimae fideiā€™ (ā€˜of the utmost good faithā€™ in simple parlance - albeit one wonders re stories on denied claims!).

e.g. if youā€™ve had lots of potential claim events and havenā€™t claimed, the insurer may argue that their risk assessment (premium!) didnā€™t reflect the actual risk, which may be grounds to deny a claim.

But as said above by a.n.other, when I get questioned nowadays, the narrative is all around ā€˜claimsā€™ not ā€˜lossesā€™ - and I would struggle to define what a ā€˜lossā€™ is in modern-day life as, like you and many others, some things e.g. minor breakages, just ā€˜happenā€™. I always work with a material voluntary XS.

My calls with insurance companies are often highly detailed to ensure there are no misunderstandings and I take notes, record the time of the calls etc,.

1 Like

Didnā€™t realise so many people on hear have made contents insurance claims over the years to know I shall live to regret. Certainly my first.

This thread is turning into one of the same as many.
(Iā€™ll advise yet I havenā€™t the experience, but I have read a lot.) :joy:

1 Like

As, I was sayingā€¦

1 Like

Mike - quite right - we should not digress.

2 Likes

I was going to suggest speakers that are designed to go back to the wall. Iā€™d be looking at some Naim Allaes. Bargain at used prices.

Youā€™ve claimed on the insurance and thatā€™s that, with no need for further discussion really. All tall thin floorstanders are a risk with small children tootling about, as are small speakers on stands, unless they are against the wall out of the way. When ours were small we had SBLs sitting about two inches from the wall. If you have solid walls might this be possible? They are heavy and pretty child proof, though we had to attach the grilles with black elastic after two attacks on the tweeters. Pulling speakers in and out would be a right pain and best avoided Iā€™d suggest.

Youā€™ll doubtless get silly comments such as lock the children up or watch them better, but thatā€™s just not practical. There are a few years when they hurtle about and accidents will happen, no matter how careful you are. Then their friends come round and they have a wrestling match right in front of the speakers. Aargh!! Itā€™s all good fun.

1 Like

This would surely depend on your income at the time. Itā€™s nice to have the privilege of having a spare Ā£500 to avoid an insurance claim but not everybody here is in that position.

3 Likes

My room wouldnā€™t work for speakers directly on the back wall I would think. They are false panels behind the speakers and with the shelves above.

Christmas decorations are now down donā€™t worry.

Also the speakers arenā€™t that far out when not in use. Ironically it was the speaker on the other side in the corner of the room, not the one next to the Fraim.

it would be interesting to see a snap of the damage

Of course, but what I am saying is that there is little point in claiming small amounts from an insurance company because you will certainly lose overall in the medium term.

Best

David

Without knowing your room size itā€™s hard to make a suggestion, but something like the ATC SCM40 could work. They are very heavy and have outrigger feet so would be pretty hard to knock over. Whether the SN would have the grunt Iā€™m not sure - probably marginal.

1 Like

I have three sons and I used to have tall and narrow speakers (French Pierre-Etienne Leon M3). They were tackled and brought down a number of times but thankfully the impacts were only cosmeticā€¦ that is, until one day a bass/mid driver was stabbed with a knitting needle.

I replaced them with Harbeth Compact 7s on heavy Sound Anchor stands.

Now my sons are adults. But Iā€™m the grandfather of an 18-month old terrorā€¦ :heart_eyes:

1 Like

They certainly do. Last year when I renewed my house insurance I used a different insurer. I said that I had made no claims in the previous 3 years. Unfortunately I had forgotten a small claim (about Ā£170.00 IIRC) and they came back to me on it. I agreed that I had made that claim, and they raised the premium by about Ā£240.00. I donā€™t intent to use them again, particularly as I had to pay Ā£100 towards that Ā£170. Sometimes I think that insurance companies are not very nice.

The phrase I always recall is that insurers are quite happy to believe youā€™re a good risk as long as you donā€™t make a claim, but that once you make a claim you become the sort of person that makes a claim.

Classic insurance company behaviour ā€¦ and I speak from experience, when a stone chip necessitated replacing my windscreen, (covered under a separate section of the policy, and with a compulsory Ā£100 excess).

My renewal premium was increased by Ā£120, with the old ā€œitā€™s not no blame, itā€™s no claimā€ adage ā€¦ wot a con ā€¦bye, yā€™all. :-1: :-1: