Were the hippies correct?

Thanks to Maggi Dawn on Facebook for this … I was too young to appreciate these but some are obvious, but any observations and comments welcome Name these songs please:

There are a few tracks there that no self-respecting hippie would listen to. Unless going to Glastonbury in 2019 qualifies you as a hippie :hear_no_evil:

5 Likes

As an ex Hippie, I agree with Chris, although there is only one of the above that I didn’t get immediately.

I’m sure it’s obvious but what’s the answer to “Tried to fight it”?

1 Like

Google says “Shallow Side” (whoever they are!)

I suspect it’s the chorus to the Billy Joel Start the Fire in the We Didn’t section -(again from Google) " We didn’t start the fire. It was always burning since the world’s been turning. We didn’t start the fire. No, we didn’t light it, but we tried to fight it ·"

2 Likes

Those songs came along years after the hippy years, most of us had kids & it was they that grew up on those songs.

1 Like

Definitely not a Hippy playlist, more MTV, as Mike says the timeframe is way out, Maggi needs to check her history.

2 Likes

My wife insisted to check out a vw bus yesterday. It is a pile of scrap with some paint and flowers on it. I want 2xnap135.

She probably wins.

Have I married an hippie?

4 Likes

Asking anything about correct Hippy linguistics is like asking a hippy about correct linguistics.
They will no doubt respond " yes, that’s right - man"

1 Like

This is a fine album. Never Trust a Hippy by Adrian Sherwood.

3 Likes

…with the 50th anniversary of ‘Woodstock’ around the corner you guys got some nerve picking on old hippies…

Ya, that’s right man… the 60’s were wicked pissah!

2 Likes

That’s more like it!

1 Like

In my youth Hippies where always considered suspect they rolled weak joints at parties or even worse rolled top loaders which if found out would result in a public heckling and ejection, they where always last to the bar, where generally considered to be as tight as two coats of paint and as the very talented Mr Sherwood pointed out couldn’t be trusted especially when it came to a pound note.

… some would argue the hippy era was all over by Woodstock, the summer of love was 1967.

1 Like

…what was left of us were put out on the farm in Upper State New York and we had a party!

2 Likes

I tried to break on through but kept losing my way in a purple haze on the way to san francisco and kept on trippin over a white rabbit. Now I just keep on california dreaming about a statement.

3 Likes

Yes - we still are :laughing:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.