What a strange journey

Absolutely! Waiting for the turntable to complete the setup and will post then.

Hi Perizoqui,
I read your thread with great interest. I remember well when you were searching a pre to go with your naim amp and ndx2.
I was sharing my ear/ naim combo with you, because the synergy is fabulous.
However, for budget reasons, you choosed the Primaluna. I didn’t want to spoil your pleasure at that time, but the primaluna is completely not in the same league. It’s very tube like, uninvolving, and even doesn’t have the magic of true masterpieces tube sound.
Made in China also, which probably doesn’t make it 100% reliable.
It’s good to know that you are pleased today however. Less boxes and naim sound you like.
Enjoy the new Vpi . Great time for you!

Thank you my Gallic friend! I am indeed very happy. I remember our exchange very well also. I wanted that Ear, but just couldn’t afford it. I had just shelled out on the NDX2 thinking it was way out of my budget, but I’d connect it straight into my 300DR and be done. When I realized I wasn’t, I needed an affordable option.

I went with the PrimaLuna as a poor man’s imitation of your own setup. Reliability was a disaster, but I did love the sound when it worked. But not as much as the Supernait - spent the whole day listening to it through my Focal’s and am now back on my headphones. I should go to bed… Beethoven’s Harp quartet played by Takacs is on right now though, just one more movement… lovely.

I’m sure the 300DR driven correctly is better than the Supernait. The fact I like the SN3 better is a testament to my poor choices in the preamp department. I guess including the PrimaLuna. Choices driven as I said by financial considerations, and also an aversion to 4-5 boxes for a preamp. More so the former last year and the latter this winter.

Anyway, I’m very happy now. Designing the cabinet work that’ll go into a small room adjacent to my living room to hold LPs. I have my fathers old collection of over a thousand to collect. Some woodworking should get me off the computer and moving around in this damned quarantine.

1 Like

You are not the only one to have lost some money on wrong choices. I made myself a great error buying two years ago a nap 300 dr. On my system, room, and easy load speakers, it was not working good. Too heavy sound, with overwhelming bass that was masking other areas of the sound…
I sold it and have a nap 250 dr, which works perfectly in my system. I lost perhaps 3,5 k when solding the 300 dr.
As you said, synergy is the key.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.