What are you chopping with?

Despite the rise of knife crime, it should be positive to focus one what’s intended.
There has been threads on watches, cars, jeans (sorry),wine and beer, mayonnaise and coffee machines so why not those sharp things behind every good cook.
A recent mega poll voted the Global G2 as the best all round knife.
I have been a Global user for many years, after some trial and tribulations from others. Yet recently have been taken with the Robert Welch signature range. Not overly expensive. A nice shape and feel with a bit more weight to it than Globals which I somehow prefer now. Makes chopping so much easier, although you have to be more wary when putting it down in a rush.
Any others with an epiphany.

Maybe off-topic but the last ‘blade’ I purchased was a Gränsfors Small Forest Axe

Makes wood processing in the garden a doddle. Ridiculously sharp & when a friend of mine saw it & bought one, First time out, he ended up in A&E with a nice 3" gash in his ankle :ambulance: ouch…

Interesting thread, my preferences are:
My step mother’s father’s butchers knife;
Cook’s knife, Japanese steel fromTesco “go cook”
Lo Shen Japanese knife
All of which have good balance and take an edge, but the butcher’s knife has a wooden handle and carbon steel (better than my Elizabeth David equivalent).

I have too many knives, many somewhat diminished in shape and size over 40 plus years in the kitchen. The “best” two are carbon steel, given to me by the knife man when I had a Saturday job at Macfisheries. One a rosewood handled filleting knife, the other a chef’s knife. A Pallaro carbon steel does when I want a smaller one.

I’m a big Global fan they are the best. It is a ritual sharpening them.

Mine are a full set of Zwilling J.A. knives and a fantastic Robert Welch Signature chefs knife.
Well balanced…and sharp…ouch !!

My favourite axe uses a head that I think dates back to king George Vs time judging by the stamped marks on it. It has been much used but still has plenty of life left in it despite many sharpenings. It does soon need a new handle though…

2 Likes

Hope you watch is shockproof😁

Wusthof Classic.

2 Likes

These two beauties:

Although I have to admit that my most used knives are a set of Tesco Professional range that I bought about 10 years ago. They have never been sharpened since. Just regular honing and they retain a supersharp edge. Truly impressive.

1 Like

Zwilling J.A. Professional ‘S’ 260mm Chefs knife of some 20 years
Zwilling J.A. Professional ‘S’ Utility knife (maybe older than the Chefs knife)
Robert Welch Signature Pairing knife
Thomas Japanese knifes, Bread knife & another Utility knife
Butcher’s steel for sharpening.
(I get the Fishmonger & the Butcher to do any filleting, as they are much better at it! :blush:)

1 Like

I bought the majority of my Global knives 20 years ago and like the GF-33 as my general one for cutting up bodies. I have the G-2, but find the handle a little on the small side. The slightly different profile of the GF-33 handle feels more secure and it’s stronger. The G-12 chops through limbs and arms very nicely.

As I say, I’ve had them for 20 years, a couple of them get used every day and all I’ve used to keep them sharp is the G-9 diamond sharpening steel and an end-grain chopping board. They all still cut through a tomato with the lightest of pressure (except the G-12).

1 Like

Mostly ProCook Professional X50 knives in the kitchen
Wilkinson Sword splitting axes for processing logs and kindling in the garden
Hultafors Hunting axe and Fallkniven A1 knife in the woods

1 Like

What do you need to do that for, surely you just need sharp teeth :vampire:

1 Like

A 19th century kukri from the upper Indus valley. A few years ago I used it to fell a tree.

3 Likes

Good axes, my kindling wood axe is an Estwing No.1, but I use a logistic 250 to split any over size logs. In the wood I use pull saws, such as the Felco 600 and 610 in preference to my chain saw.

I have a couple of Silky saws, and it’s amazing how quickly you can get through smaller branches with them. It’s so much easier and safer than getting the chainsaw out, and often just as qiuck for smaller jobs. I have an area of birch trees that sometimes needs thinning out, and I’ve sometimes logged a whole tree with one of these handsaws. Anything up to about 8 inches in diameter, the chainsaw just isn’t worth the hassle.

1 Like

Getting back to kitchen knives, I bought a carbon steel Sabatier knife in the early '80s, as they seemed to be de rigeur at the time. After 30+ years, it’s been sharpened so many times that it’s now a rather weird shape, so I shall be watching the suggestions here for ideas to replace it.

1 Like

I bought the majority of my Global knives 20 years ago and like the GF-33 as my general one for cutting up bodies

I really do hope that your comment has lost something in the translation.

Hard to beat if looked after. I dry mine on top of the Everhot.