What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested?

When I was “studying” ahem… for my O levels my parents said I could have 50p for every one I passed and was the main reason I actually did any work at school. I got 10 O levels and the £5 was spent on this album which I still have and has been played to death over the years ! great choice @Polarbear

1 Like

I studied hard at Uni as well and ended up with a great music collection :sunglasses:

2 Likes

A little while ago I was discussing with a work colleague what a great musician Sonny Landreth is and remembered that he contributed to this on a track called Je suis desole. Now can’t stop playing the CD. Brilliant work Mark.

10 Likes

Dinosaur - Together, As One

Random after supper pick, and a good one.

pulled this out to play and then saw @Polarbear’s post

6 Likes

Good choice Alan :blush:

4 Likes

Have been listening to this…
Live Blood (ripped CD)
looks like a PG evening :grin:

cover

6 Likes

LPs 2,3&4. Just keeps getting better.

6 Likes

8 Likes

Quincy Jones - The Dude, excellent Sq on an early A&M+ series cd.

8 Likes

A series of demo’s courtesy of The Landreth Bros.

1 Like

Tina Turner - The Collected Recordings ,Sixties to Nineties ,playing the second disc from this set which covers the period from “Acid Queen” through to “Tearing Us Apart” with Clapton.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Now there’s a real Neil Young fan, not his most popular album. Haven’t heard it for years, probably worth a listen.

1 Like

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - “Midnight Sugar”. A wonderful trio as well.
MArco :tophat:

4 Likes

I’m kicking off a quite Wednesday evening with The White Album, 96/24, the Esther demo mix is like having the Beatles unplugged.

6 Likes

Last night I ended up spinning some old vinyl that I dug out from the shelves - stuff I haven’t spun in many, many years. Among them was an album I haven’t heard since I rather overdosed on it while at school - Julian Lennon’s Valotte.

I remember at the time this was the album everyone was talking about. According to some, it was Julian Lennon channelling the ghost of his father, John. To others it was the son riding on his Father’s coattails in a shortcut to success. To me, it was a vaguely familiar voice singing some really great tunes, with obvious beatles influences. Yes, he does sound uncannily like his father at times - the dreamy Space could have been put out as a JL cut and nobody would have expressed any doubt.

So, coming back to this album after so many years, how does it stand up? Very well actually. Now the brouhaha has all died down, this album can be better assessed on its own merits., Yes, it’s a little dated in places, but it’s solid, and for a debut, quite remarkable. I recall skipping a class to jump on my bike and ride into town to Pitchfork to purchase this very copy on the day of release. It sounds good too, with a solid Sterling cut, but the usual slightly slapdash pressing quality of the time.

I didn’t buy the next album from Julian Lennon, or the next… Revisiting this album makes me curious to hear the rest of his music.

7 Likes

@Pete.T - thank you. And yes, they are!

1 Like

Definitely Offramp. Travels is a good double live album from the same period.

2 Likes

Stanley Turrentine - Hustlin’. I normally play this later in the day, but a great way to kick off.

6 Likes