What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

IMG_0428

Elvis Costello and the Imposters - Look Now. I think this might be his best for a while.

10 Likes

This is an old favourite of mine.

1 Like

Now playing…

Bill Frisell - When You Wish Upon A Star

Bill Frisell (electric and acoustic guitar) and Petra Haden (voice), Eyvind Kang (viola), Thomas Morgan (bass) and Rudy Royston (drums, percussion).

Streaming on Qobuz (88.2/24)… continuing on this afternoon with Bill and the very talented members of this quintet and they are sounding sublime. A grammy nominated album for Best Contemporary Instrumental Album in 2016. I would enjoy seeing this lineup live at some point. I have seen Bill with Thomas and Rudy on different occasions and I will have to keep my eyes open for future shows when (and if) we get back to normal…

4 Likes

Grandaddy - Under The Western Freeway

2 Likes

Dusty Springfield - In Memphis, playing a remastered version with improved SQ, and some mono mix bonus tracks.

20 Likes

Toyah were a superb band, and this and The Changeling were in my view their best.

Sadly ridiculed in the 80’s this still has so many powerful non-commercial tracks that just seem perferct for their era, and are frankly rather unqiue, even the poppy/fun charting singles seem as good or better these days.

The drums/synths at the start of Jungles of Jupiter has always made me crank up the volume with any new system purchase or even normal listening - what a beautifully recorded track, same for Masai Boy and several others (especially Marionette).

I’ll never tire of Ieya or Danced either - incredible energy in the 1981 Dury Lane concert which was on BBC2 one Christmas or New Year’s Eve. Can’t find the full concert online now, but have it on betamax.

Mad as a box of frogs but so much fun for a teenager with a 4 pack of lager sat at home!

5 Likes

Josh Rouse - Love In The Modern Age. His last album, released a couple of years ago.

1 Like

The Chameleons - Strange Times (1986)

I only heard of this band in the last couple of days after reading a strong recommendation on another hifi forum (sorry about that!!). They were from Manchester, England and critically acclaimed but not commercially successful (how many times have we heard that before!).

Not sure how to describe them, 80’s indie rock maybe, shades of The Cure, Smiths merged with Sisters of Mercy perhaps but the intertwining, insistent twin guitars, passionate vocals and powerful rhythm section is almost hypnotic and exciting after a few spins. Not for the fainthearted, this ain’t ABBA.

Anyone know much about them?

Peter

1 Like

Last one for the evening

Nat King Cole and his Trio - After Midnight.

15 Likes

6 Likes

Awesome album, have this on vinyl in great condition. No compression etc. makes for a great natural ‘I could be in the room with them’ listen.

The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge (1983)

Exploring a bit more of this band’s music. This is their debut album, it’s more direct and focused than Strange Times, less keyboards so the twin guitars are very much to the fore. Not for everyone but I am enjoying the journey.

Peter

2 Likes

I’ve got the 12" of Tears on vinyl somewhere but never bought the album.

Great recording by NKC, many people are unaware of how good a pianist he was.

2 Likes

I was reading earlier about how Nat King Cole got to record ‘Nature Boy’ which I quoted today when I posted a couple of lines from the song on ‘In Flight’ by George Benson. I occasionally add a few lines from a CD to my posts when they are particularly memorable or relevant to me. By coincidence I found out the date of the ‘Nature Boy’ recording was the same as my birthday - not the year though!

That’s probably worth a few bob AC! I assume it’s the acoustic version on the Strange Times album. The bonus disc has an electric version of “Tears” and it’s excellent, more in line with the rest of the record.
Really getting into these.

Peter

Now playing…

Food - Quiet Inlet

Iain Ballamy Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone), Nils Petter Molvaer (Trumpet, Electronics), Christian Fennesz (Guitar, Electronics) and Thomas Strønen (Drums, Live Electronics).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on into the late afternoon with Food. This is a group that I have been enjoying quite a bit over the past several weeks and hope they are putting another album together. One sweet album!

1 Like

Yamamoto Tsuyoshi Trio - Speak Low

I can’t believe that I can find this album on Qobuz! Japanese jazz at its best.

4 Likes

My favourite Stones album, Some Girls.

18 Likes

Bruce Springsteen’s Nebraska

14 Likes