What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss from 2007 - on CD

The goods - it’s well recorded, the backings are excellent by the high quality support. H2 of the CD is far better than H1 - it almost seems that towards the end someone figured out how their voices should be mixed.

The not so goods - I don’t think their voices complement each other. RP hasn’t got the range/strength to counterbalance AK and, to my ears, the mixing is wanting. When the word ‘intimate’ is used (as in the Mojo review stickered to the CD), this often means the vocals are recessed in the mix, and so it is here. AK’s voice is usually the primary instrument but in parts here the sound mix is flat, going on recessed (think furry-sounding radiogram). Killing the Blues is so wrong. RP’s vocal just can’t handle the nuances of this song (that’s my polite view).

Only in H2 of the CD, when what are essentially solo productions emerge, do things change.

I really want to like this but I can’t. But what do I know, it’s sold by the bucket loads (inc. muggins) and many critics loved it.

Off now to play AK’s Windy City as an antidote.

13 Likes

Well…Mr Monk is flying Solo tonight

6 Likes

Just perfect everything about this album - the music, musicians, title, cover, recording studio and the year.

3 Likes

The Strokes. The new abnormal. Only heard once but sounding good to my ears.

Caitlin Rose - The Stand-In

2 Likes

Kevin Ayers. Joy of a toy. I was listening to one of Tony’s (I think) live albums featuring Eno,Cale,Nico and Ayers and prompted to play this brilliant feel good 69 album. Those were the days.

6 Likes

After basking in a glorious week of beautiful sunshine, we’re about to be interrupted by cooler weather and possibly thunder storms. This is a reminder of endless summer nights: with a glass of cognac in hand, here’s a toast to Herb Alpert Presents - Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66.

6 Likes

That is Mrs Alpert by the tree - Lani Hall well worth checking out her early solo albums with A&M - Sundown Lady has some great tracks.

3 Likes

I thought I knew music, Andy – but you constantly amaze.

2 Likes

Oh before the internet i’d get calls at work ‘Andy we got a bet do you know who was the bass player in Blind Faith’. Oh that’ll be Ric Grech.

Now it’s all on the internet or people just don’t care.

2 Likes

Thievery Corporation - Symphonik. Good sounding release.

@anon71888798 just wondering if that is an original vinyl of School’s Out which came with a pair of paper knickers. I have the billion note that came with Billion Dollar Babies - haven’t spent it yet.

Always loved it when you picked up the Who’s Live at Leeds and a confetti of receipts and notes fell out.

2 Likes

Rather enjoying this new release and a new artist for me.

4 Likes

I think you’d give Mr. Google a run for his money.

1 Like

Hi Andy, no undies or report card. Heaven knows where they’ve gone. It’s a UK first pressing with the fold out desk. Clever design.:sunglasses:

7 Likes

Saw this today somewhere, so now playing - enjoyable

3 Likes

That is lovely - craftsmanship you just don’t see these days.

3 Likes

6 Likes

In Search of Mornington Crescent is a personal favourite here.

3 Likes

Ending the night with Goldfrapp Supernature. I find her voice so alluring: pure seduction.

17 Likes