What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Fleetfoxes - Helplessness Blues. Lovely, mellow folk rock. Very relaxing stuff.

12 Likes

9 Likes

Recent purchase, love it

18 Likes

@Biglloydy

ELO - perfectly complimented by the chrome bumpers - reminds me of my first naim gear :+1:

3 Likes

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Playing this to recover from the Live in Seattle set. The newly discovered set is hard work - the drums are very forward in the mix, which means you have to listen through them to hear the melodic line and harmonies. And then there’s Pharaoh Sanders(!). The original studio version was (is) in my view a masterpiece, which rewards and reveals more with every listen (and I’ve listened to this many times since I first bought it on vinyl in the early ‘80s).

16 Likes

A slice of lockdown americana/country rock to start the weekend

2 Likes

Pacific Range - High Upon The Mountain

8 Likes

On CD:-

Wishbone Ash - 40th Anniversary Concert - Live in London

7 Likes

Robben Ford Inside Story / 2004 Elektra / Germany CD / 7559610212

Guitar Robben Ford
Bass Jimmy Haslip
Drums Ricky Lawson
Keyboards Russell Ferrante

robbenfordinsidestoryCD

4 Likes

Bit of Jack’s Boarding House Reach to blow out the cobwebs…

I don’t play it that often, so nice to re-make its idiosyncratic acquaintance!

9 Likes

Mozart: piano concerto No.27, concerto for 2 pianos k.365. Emil Gilels. Thanks heaps @anon70766008 for the suggestion. Very beautiful indeed. :blush::+1:

6 Likes

A masterpiece indeed Clive and the intensity conveyed by the front cover photography.

2 Likes

Pink Floyd Qobuz hi res playlist. Wi fi.
Continuing my free month trial with this.
Jury still out.
No doubting the music though.

8 Likes

It’s a pleasure, David. It’s a stunning recording, beautifully played. And Karl Boehm repeats the wonderful conducting that he pulled off for Wilhelm Backhaus, also with this fabulous orchestra, for Deccaa two decades earlier. (Actually, that older Decca recording shows remarkable power and depth in the orchestral playing, perhaps even better than DG achieved here.)

Emil Gilels was a mighty interpreter of Beethoven It’s one of life’s tragedies that he died five sonatas short of the complete set of Beethoven’s mighty 32 that he was recording for DG.

But we must be grateful for what Gilels left us. Indeed, if I could take only one concerto to an imaginary desert island, it would be this last one of Mozart’s in this incomparable recording.

I defy anyone to find piano playing of such stature from the pygmies plying their trade today.

Granam

1 Like

No apologies for posting this again: it has such a vivid, live presence that is just…wonderful.

Due to the binaural recording process? Don’t know, don’t really care when it sounds this good!

Macy and jazz quartet, on Chesky Records. Beautiful.

9 Likes

@anon70766008, frankly I don’t play piano and have limited ability to appreciate Emil Gilels’ craft. However, I Just finished no.27. Omg, it was mesmerizing and made me very happy. I can hear so much pleasure in his work. Not mechanical robot like many, but it is full of emotions and beautiful dynamics. Excuse me if am using all the wrong terms. Now reading about this amazing pianist and added a few more albums to my playlist. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Miles Davis Tutu / 2001 Warner Bros / EU CD / 7599254909

14 Likes

Beethoven, piano sonatas no.8, 13 &14 by Emil Gilels. :relaxed:

9 Likes

Fell asleep listening to this on repeat through the Atom HE. Had horrible nightmares… terrifying to be honest.

3 Likes

Tidal maybe a better option for you, it’s integrated into the Naim app. I only dropped Tidal in favour of Qobuz as I struggled to get anything above cd quality down here in the colonies.

1 Like