What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Richard Thompson. Rumour and sigh.
Some powerful and funny songs coupled with great guitar work. Always skip last track though.

16 Likes

Maurizio Pollini, Beethoven piano concerto no.5. Wiener Philharmoniker, Karl Böhm. :relaxed:

9 Likes

Elvis Presley. Pot luck. This is an absolute belter from 1962. The final track “That’s someone you’ll never forget “ doesn’t usually appear on compilations yet it’s one of the most beautiful songs he ever sang. imo.

7 Likes

Dave Valentin Live At The Blue Note / 1988 GRP/ Switzerland CD / GRD9568

Brilliant Latin Jazz flute release by DV and great live recording.

3 Likes

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto in A major, K. 622. Wiener philharmoniker, Karl Böhm. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

John McLaughlin - Time Remembered

John’s tribute to Bill Evans. On HDD.

6 Likes

@AlanP – For me, Abbey is the greatest jazz singer after Ella. what a voice! Great songwriter and lyricist also, as well as being a significant figure in the Civil Rights movement. You have four of her best albums there.

4 Likes

Acoustic version of whole album,only available when ordered with vinyl/cd bundle .

2 Likes

Ella Fitzgerald. Ella & Louis, can’t we be friends? Agree about Ella @TheKevster, but Abbey comes 2nd is a bold claim. What about Billie Holiday? :wink:

19 Likes

Afternoons session-

13 Likes

3245EAE9-5C44-49F4-8BFB-0468A08FA2DF
CD - EMI Classics / Japan : )

A very sweet easy on the ear harpsichord version, recorded in March 1961.

<<>>

Helmut Walcha was born on this day in 1907 :de:

Helmut Walcha 1907-1991

10 Likes

Don Henley, Cass County. Qobuz.

12 Likes

A classic from 1987

14 Likes

Buckshot Lefonque (Tidal MQA)

Call the police, its Buckshot Lefonque!

Branford Marsalis’s fusion of Soul Jazz, Funk, Hip Hop, Dancehall etc that so upset the Jazz police back in the nineties
Maya Angelou ( I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings) and Nils Lofgren appear.

The 2LP was on my playlist for yesterday until cartridge problems put the mockers on, so its streaming (or beer mats) for the time being.
:heart:

2 Likes

Excellent stuff and it reminds of this lot from 93’ which i haven’t listened to in a while. Thanks for that, Dread. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Harvey Mason Chameleon / 2014 Concord / US CD / CRE3411302

1 Like

Over the years, Sweet Surrender has made me increasingly uncomfortable, especially when listening to it in mixed company. Unfortunate, because it was very much my favourite song on the album. Now, it’s the semi-autobiographical Nighthawkin’.

1 Like

Yeah, Solsonics! Great call!

1 Like

:japanese_ogre:

1 Like

Branford Marsalis- I heard You Twice The Last Time (Tidal MQA)

Another Branford Marsalis project this time exploring the Blues. BB King, John Lee Hooker and others help out.
The opening Brother Trying To Catch A Cab On The East Side Blues still cracks me up!

R-13059356-1547326208-8189.jpeg
@anon10403888

4 Likes