What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

15 Likes

Ahmad Jamal Saturday Morning / 2013 Jazz Village / France CD / JV570027

8 Likes

Symphonies 7&8 from this excellent set.
John Eliot Gardiner - Beethoven Symphonies Complete.

6 Likes

Eric Bibb & Needed Time - Good Stuff.

And so it is!

13 Likes

They are very similar singers @davidng but Abbey shades it for me because while she does anguish and despair like Billie she sounds less defeated and much more defiant. I prefer much of her material too, it is more radical, especially on the albums she made with Max Roach.

2 Likes

Here Comes Louis Smith (Blue Note Tidal)

1957 session featuring of course Buckshot Le Funke (see earlier post) aka Cannonball Adderley and Duke Jordan, Tommy Flanagan, Doug Watkins and Art Taylor

:heart:

9 Likes

Agreed, all Bibbs Opus 3 albums are superb :+1:

1 Like

Al Di Meola | Land of the Midnight Sun | 1976
Some more fine Latin Jazz Rock fusion to get this soggy evening going.

8 Likes

Something to soothe a brain addled by updating our company health and safety accreditation.

Questions seem to have been devised by someone who tucks a short sleeved shirt with a pocket full of pens into their underpants :upside_down_face:.

22 Likes

Eric Bibb - Dear America (Tidal MQA)

Only my second listen to this new one, I’m loving it more…

dearamerica

Jazzwise review;

Eric Bibb’s Godfather, Paul Robeson, would say ‘As an artist I come to sing, but as a citizen, I will always sing for peace, and no one can silence me in this.’ It is to Bibb’s (and producer Glen Scott’s) credit that Dear America refuses to be silent, challenging iniquity wherever it is witnessed.Dear America’s two chord opener has the melodic insouciance yet knowingness of an Elizabeth Cotten song. It itemises America’s great food, great music; and they’re really what will make America great again. Without haranguing the listener, Bibb draws deep on a hundred years of American gospel, blues and 1960s righteous soul to ask profound questions of why so little has changed between the Civil Rights era and the Trump error. Somehow, despite the horror, Bibb still nurtures hope, because Dear America isn’t just a letter of admonition to his ‘homeland’, although he may rail at domestic violence (a passionate performance from Shaneeka Simon on ‘Born of a Woman’) or the ‘appalling silence of the good’ as on the title track.

But Dear America also remains a love letter: the upbeat ‘Tell Yourself’ reminds us of Angela Davis’ dictum that optimism is a political act too, that fear and despair are the enemies. Bibb can also weave history into a modern context. ‘Emmett’s Ghost’, recalling the murder of Emmett Till in 1955 is both a warning from the past and a reminder of the roots of Black Lives Matter. Bibb’s helped by outstanding contributions, be it Carter’s venerable bass (the two first played together 53 years ago) or Eric Gales’ electric incandescence on ‘Whole World’s Got the Blues’. The blues has channelled powerful responses to the travails of the last 5 years, not least Shemekia Copeland’s Uncivil War and Gary Clark Jnr.’s This Land. Bibb’s Letter to America joins them

12 Likes

Steady on, I used to be a workplace trade union elf n safety rep (true) :joy:

1 Like

The Peddlers’ brilliant Suite London album from 1972. Side Two (which contains “I Have Seen”, later covered by Zero 7) is sensational.

4 Likes

The Barr Brothers | Sleeping Operator | 2014
Lovely folk / Indie / rock from Montreal that I haven’t tasted for a while.

8 Likes

Donald Fagen - Sunken Condos

ON HDD (NS01). Haven’t played this for ages.

12 Likes

16 Likes

Pat Metheny Unity Group Kin / 2014 Nonesuch / Japan Promo CD / Paper Sleeve / WPCR15523

9 Likes

Ann Peebles - I Cant Stand The Rain (Hi/Tidal)

Eric Bibb’s Talkin Bout A Train Pt 1 from Dear America seems to borrow from I Cant Stand The Rain thus nicely prompting this selection.

SQ on this Tidal stream seems a little underwhelming, a great Memphis Soul voice shines through nonetheless

R-2018876-1381512528-8245.jpeg

8 Likes

Michael Kiwanuka - 2019 Kiwanuka

9 Likes

Just heard today that Ms Badu is playing the Love Supreme Festival next year. I haven’t seen her live since 2002! So just plaing her splendid second album:

10 Likes

14 Likes