What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Snarky Puppy Tell Your Friends / 2012 Art of Groove / German CD + DVD / MIG80152

4 Likes

On vinyl… :notes: :+1:t3: :grin:

17 Likes

6 Likes

I do like massive attack but not seen this before. Picked it up in a little shop in Glastonbury last week. Very good I must say even though I played nearly all the first track at 45rpm before realising it should be 33rpm…….

5 Likes

If you like ‘The Moorings’ give my favourite Andrew Duhon album, ‘False River’ a go. It is however trickier to track down. It is on Apple Music if you have that.

3 Likes

Porcupine Tree - On The Sunday Of Life…
On Kscope orange vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes: :+1:t3:

5 Likes

Joss Stone - Water For Your Soul

Our Joss hits the wacky baccy and sprouts dreadlocks.

Bonkers but brilliant!

10 Likes

Crosby, Stills & Nash

20 Likes

Last two for today.
I especially love Kaki King, and this is one of her best.

2 Likes

1 Like

Boogie With Canned Heat - (Qobuz HR)

After several weeks sans cab, I’m now On The Road Again

:heart:

12 Likes

Marcus Miller Tales / 1995 PRA / Japan CD / VICJ5150

6 Likes

Great cover by Digital

6 Likes

Tom Waits - Mule Variations.

13 Likes

I have a CD of that bought in a charity shop for 50p years ago and still havent played it! time to rectify, ta for reminding me :joy:

This is one of a haul of cd’s I bought the other day at 45p each. Also included Tom Waits’ Small Change.

1 Like

45p! I was robbed! :joy:

1 Like

Windmill Tilter The Story Of Don Quixote - Kenny Wheeler/John Dankworth Orchestra (Qobuz HR)

Kenny Wheeler, the inimitable Canadian trumpet maestro and quiet legend of post-1960s jazz composition, had been playing all kinds of modern jazz and improv in Britain for 16 years when he made this belated recording debut with his own pieces and a star-packed Dankworth-led orchestra. Wheeler would wryly observe that he liked the stories of losers more than heroes, so he dedicated Windmill Tilter to Cervantes’ moth-eaten dreamer Don Quixote – a classic album now returning as part of Decca’s new British Jazz Explosion series showcasing 1960s and ‘70s UK jazz landmarks. All Wheeler’s signature compositional characteristics are already here – the short and shapely trumpet motifs dazzlingly embroidered by the arrangements, a harmonic sense drawing on models from Gil Evans to Paul Hindemith, lyrical themes steered toward improv deconstruction. Wheeler’s mix of gleaming precision and bitter-sweet tonality on trumpet leads the soloing line, the reeds include Dankworth and the ever-quirky Tony Coe, and young bassist Dave Holland and guitarist John McLaughlin show exactly why Miles Davis would soon hire them. Among plenty of standouts, ‘Don The Dreamer’ beautifully balances strutting insistence and romance, the band’s lissome countermelodies echo Birth of the Cool on ‘Bachelor Sam’, ‘The Cave of Montesinos’ is the quintessence of Wheeler’s genius for distributing a small piece of catchy melody echoing all around the band from low brass to airy saxes, and ‘Propheticape’ builds from an intricate trumpet/alto sax conversation through rugged tenor sax and McLaughlin’s Tal Farlow-like guitar breaks to a contrastingly tranquil finale. Windmill Tilter still sounds like the arrival of the contemporary-jazz gamechanger it was, and this Dankworth band was a world-class outfit John Fordham Jazzwise
:heart:

10 Likes

16 Likes

China Crisis. Flaunt the Imperfection. 1985 Vinyl. Produced by Walter Becker.

chinacrisisl_fba0308f7f7ec885ba27ede9cea6

13 Likes