What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Let’s make it a double. It’ll be a pleasure……

Frankie

19 Likes

How about this for a playlist:

1. Robert Leroy Johnson 1911-1938 - Complete Recordings (mono)
  2. Ken Ishii b.1970 - Metal Blue America 1997

I could try and wax lyrical about how the former has influenced the latter, but that would be a tenuous link at best. Even so, Preachin’ Blues (Up Jumped the Devil) released the year after RJ’s death, does have a quite hypnotic and trance-like beat …

11 Likes

Now Playing…

Lump - Animal

Mike Lindsay (Bass Guitar, Electric Guitar, Mellotron, Piano, Roland Juno 6, Vocoder) and Laura Marling (Bass Clarinet, Flute, Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… continuing on Laura and Mike Lindsay with their release from July 2021 and they are sounding mighty fine! It has not been out for a spin in quite awhile and enjoying the beat…

4 Likes

Delia Derbyshire- Hannah Peel- Unheard Delia
Via Qobuz - but on Bandcamp as well. An interview with Delia and original compositions. Delia Derbyshire is famous for the realisation of the Dr Who theme, but there is much more to her, including work done after the BBC.

6 Likes

On CD:-

D’Virgilio, Morse & Jennings - Troika

1 Like

Yes, I’m enjoying this one immensely. The recording quality and instrumentation really exemplify the beauty, grace and strength of her remarkable voice.

Great to hear Angelique Kidjo here and on the Miriam Makeba re-imagining album, too. Oh, and Common on this one, also. Fantastic.

(Would like to get hold of a vinyl version of this or the Makeba album, but it looks like stream, download or CD only. Might have to settle for the latter.)

5 Likes

Elvis Presley, Elvis For Everyone. Qobuz. Uniti Atom HE.

5 Likes

Meg Myers, Take me to the disco. If you haven’t heard Myers before I think you might know within a few bars whether this is for you. I haven’t playered this for a while, but it’s a favourite of mine along with her first full release album, Sorry. It’s quite a high energy listen and a bit of a rollercoaster ride between soft harmonic vocals and the visceral screams of someone trying to exorcise a few ghosts. Nicely recorded, fab!

3 Likes

Tony Joe White | Bad Mouthin’ | 2018
TJW’s last album, this slow talking, breathy singing swamp rocker was a fine Tennessee gentleman. As someone once said “Tony don’t do nothin’ fast”.

R-12596345-1538305655-2865

10 Likes

Miziki Dobet Gnahoré
Lovely album.

3 Likes

Now playing…

Meg Myers - Take Me To The Disco

Meg Myers (Vocals), Victor Indrizzo (Drums, Percussion), Christian “Leggy” Langdon (Bass Guitar, Mixing, Percussion, Piano, Synthesizer), The Section Quartet (Strings) and Joel Shearer (Guitar, Vibraphone).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… a mention from @Bokermonz above raised my curiosity and I have placed Meg in the queue and now taking out for a spin and the opening track ‘Take Me To The Disco’ is sounding mighty fine… Looking forward to the rest of the album.

3 Likes

10 Likes

There was a rockabilly revival centred on a pub called The Bridge in Newcastle upon Tyne when I worked at a HGV license office in the late 1980s as a student. The crowd in the office included musicians and they bought secondhand American clothes which they sometimes wore to work. I’m partial to a bit of rockabilly, each track is very short.

4 Likes

Donald Fagen and others. Rock and Soul Revue.

The performances featured Fagen and included Phoebe Snow, Michael McDonald, Boz Scaggs, Eddie Brigati, David Brigati and Charles Brown.

7 Likes

You’ll have to check this out next.

6 Likes

None more magnificent.
77-79 Early Years - The Fall

7 Likes

Tony Joe White | The Train I’m On | 1972
Hitting fifty, this old one from the late great (underrated) TJW is sounding sweet.

6 Likes

This sounds rather good!

20 Likes

England/ West Indies Test Match streamed on Talksport 2.
Test looking a bit more balanced than it was earlier, good match to listen to.

5 Likes

Jeanne Moreau, self titled album. I don’t understand a word of the lyrics. Might dig up English translation later. Still enjoy this immensely. :relaxed:

Thank you @Drikus. :+1:

6 Likes