What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Hi Martin,

I’ve got forty plus of The Fall albums on vinyl, most originals or early represses where that was a thing. Though, as Kev says, they’re not exactly Dire Straits, I would say the SQ of the originals is generally superior to the reissues.

Label swaps and licensing free for alls have meant their vast output has been badly served in some sections of their back cat, and that was just when he was alive. Since he died there’s been a plethora of releases, rehashes, and plain simple rubbish. (I’m thinking of some of the dubious “live” albums here).

I’ve got a few of the more recent first time on vinyl things (or near impossible to get if a vinyl existed first time round). Levitate 3LP is superb, and Imperial Wax Solvent is decent. Some others, Post Reformation TLC and Light User Syndrome less so.

As MES said himself, they/he took pride in the recording quality of their particular sound. For me, a great majority of their records sound fantastic. cf. Shift-work, This Nation’s Saving Grace and Code:Selfish to name but three.

CDwise (I’ve amassed 50-60 discs of varying standards and provenance) there have been various reissue programmes. Easily the best are the 2CD/3CD 2004-2006 Castle/Sanctuary releases. SQ and track listings are great.

That said, The Peel Sessions 6CD box is, for me, the pinnacle.

5 Likes

Thanks Charles, its great to know that and gives my a direction of where to go. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Well this one courts mixed feelings from forum members!
I like it, yes it’s not as good as the original but how many cover songs are? For me she has a great rock voice and that shows in her many albums.
Her best imho is her release with Joe Bonamassa ‘Don’t Explain’.

12 Likes

Manifesto - Roxy Music

16 Likes

3 Likes

Doby Gray is my daughter’s favourite and it’s a great album.

I loved Lowell George and this was his only solo album, released just before his death in 1979.

9 Likes

Now playing…

Amos Lee - Spirit

Amos Lee (Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Banjo, Percussion), Jaron Olevsky (Keyboards, Piano, Organ, Glockenspiel, Synthesizer, Bass, Accordion, Vocals), Zach Djanikian (Electric Guitar, Bass, Saxophone, Mandolin, Synthesizer, Vocals), Mark Colenburg (Drums, Percussion), Adam Blackstone (Bass), Ian Fitchuk (Drums, Percussion, vocals), Fred Berman (Drums), Doug Pettibone (Electric Guitar, Pedal Steel), Luther Dickinson (Electric Guitar, Vocals), Andy Keenan (Dobro, Lap Steel), Jeff Coffin (Saxophone), Rashawn Ross (trumpet), Rob Moose (Violin, Viola), Anthony LaMarchina (Cello), Vanessa McGowan (Contrabass, Bowed Bass), Annie Clements (Vocals), Kristen Rogers (Vocals) and Jason Eskridge (Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… kicking off this Thursday morning with Amos and his band and they are sounding mighty sweet this morning!

11 Likes

Pink Floyd | The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn | 1967 / 2018

Tony, FWIW I have the 2018 Bernie Grundman mono remaster from the original mono mix
downloaded in 24/96 FLAC from Qobuz and find it very good indeed. I have no vinyl these days just CDs and DLs so this is now my best and go to version of TPATGOD. It’s getting an outing now.

5 Likes

Thank you, Steve. Enjoy it!:sunglasses:

1 Like

Always a good album to test your speakers bass capabilities!

20 Likes

Another spin of this astounding composition for a big band, and trumpet and guitar soloists.

British Conversations - Graham Collier

6 Likes

My initial impression was positive, it’s just that when you go back to, say, Zep IV and listen to Black Dog, you don’t really want to return to Beth’s version.
I don’t want to be too unkind as she does have a stunning voice.

1 Like

2018 - Gorillaz // The Now Now

7 Likes

Now playing…

Boz Scaggs - Out Of The Blues

Boz Scaggs (Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Horn Arrangements), Doyle Bramhall II (Guitar, Harmonica), Jim Cox (Keyboards), Eric Crystal (Tenor Saxophone), Ricky Fataar (Drums), Steve Freund (Guitar), Jim Keltner (Drums, Percussion), Stephen “Doc” Kupka (Baritone Saxophone), Ray Parker, Jr. (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar), Tom Politzer (Tenor Saxophone), Jack “Applejack” Walroth (Guitar, Harmonica, Horn Samples, Percussion) and Willie Weeks (Bass).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this morning with Boz’s 2018 album release and he along with his talented band of musicians are sounding mighty sweet!

14 Likes

Has anyone heard/bought this recent remastered 2LP version of Tourist on the Parlophone label?
Ive only owned it on CD would like it on LP but not sure about this one

Anyone?

11 Likes

Wooden Shjips | Wooden Shjips | 2007
From one nascent psychedelic rock band (Pink Floyd) to another some forty years later. Great contemporary Bay Area sounds harping back to the 60s/70s, luv them to bits.

5 Likes

Sounds like a party at No. 10.

3 Likes

Vielen dank!
At least my german o-level hasn’t entirely gone to waste :smiley:

1 Like

While just ripping his box

5 Likes

The Delines - The Sea Drift

Lovely stuff.

I particularly like the haunting use of horns and the moody vocals on this one - rather unique.

12 Likes