What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Time for a spot of live jazz - Pharoah Sanders from the early 80s in CaliforniA in comparatively mellow mood with a top band. Kicks off with the majestic Got to have Freedom. On Theresa vinyl.

3 Likes

I’d forgotten quite how good this album is (Lambchop’s Is A Woman). Track 3, My Blue Wave, contains the classic line “…the dog gives you the paw and you pat his head and wipe his jaw…”.

A musically more low-key release compared to Nixon but just as essential.

10 Likes

It’s the Frapptastic Will and Alison, and Silver Eye on vinyl. This was released almost five years ago. Come on you two, pull your fingers out!

12 Likes

Behave yourself :heart:

1 Like

Are you going to see the Frapp at the RFH in April?

1 Like

Both nights. And Bexhill, and maybe Oxford too. Can’t wait – these gigs were supposed to happen back in 2020!

Readers might be interested in Auntie Beeb tonight with this doc about a little known English beat group

:heart:

6 Likes

I know! Bought my tickets in 2020 as well. I am there on April 14th. Last time I saw them at RFH it was on the Seventh Tree tour and everyone was given a kazoo to play along with ‘Happiness’. A cheeky Japanese whisky before or after the show?

1 Like

I think John Lennon once described them as a covers band :joy:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Don’t know who first mentioned this lady, but I thought I would give this one a whirl
Lovely - so relaxing !

4 Likes

14th April 2008. Remember it well. Saw them a couple of months later at the Albert Hall and they were even better.

Otis Taylor | Fantasizing About Being Black | 2017
Poignant blues rock from the man.

11 Likes

Well of course some of their early material was blooz covers like Little Red Rooster while the Beatles did covers of Motown and Chuck Berry.
Now dont go telling me you knew that!
:+1:

1 Like

Can’t beat a bit of the Stray Cats to start off a weekend!

8 Likes

@crispyduck has got me all excited about Goldfrapp, so here’s Seventh Tree on UK first press vinyl from 2008:

17 Likes

After a day in the cab listening to The Charlatans on the radio time for a bit of Nina on vinyl

Nina Simone - Little Girl Blue (BMG/Bethlehem)

Second time lucky with the pressing on this one
Despite being pressed at RTI it’s not a great pressing but it’s ok plays fine, and the music?..well its Nina’s debut and unarguably a classic innit

16 Likes

Eliza Gilkyson - Songs from the River Wind

From Folkradio website:

Songs From the River Wind is a distinct departure from Eliza Gilkyson‘s previous, politically charged album “2020” . The album was inspired by her father, the celebrated folksinger Tony Gilkyson and his 50s folk trio The Easy Riders, with the songs spanning four decades. The album title refers to the mountain range of the Rocky Mountains in western Wyoming, and the songs offer a series of snapshots of people and places encountered during her days wandering the West, searching for somewhere to call home.

Nice songs pleasant voice,recommended.

4 Likes

Back to university times with a mix of northen soul and punk attitude. I remember booking them while on the ents committee.

1 Like

2 Likes