What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

51nZWDOTfXL._AC_SY450_1

In 1994 two DJs had a simple idea: sample their favourite jazz albums to make new dance music which included Cantaloop (flip fantasia)" and “Tukka Yoot’s Riddem”. If you’re into a acid jazz-hiphop sort of thing then give this album a listen.

10 Likes

Theres a lot that goes into the manufacture of quality records, it’s an artisan process needing skilled craftspeople/engineers

1 Like

If you are talking about limited release pressings I can accept it. But Adele and the new Plant/Krauss albums? There’s nothing special about those pressings to justify them being £5 to £10 more than other new releases. Anything up to £25 I’m comfortable with.

It depends on what £30+ records your talking about obviously. For example the Tone Poet and Acoustic Sounds style re issues use one of the best mastering engineers, genuine original master tapes, a high quality pressing and beautiful Stoughton Tip On Sleeves, they look and sound worth every penny imo. How much does a quality hardback book cost these days?
I agree there are some companies producing crap that they think they can get away with charging similar prices for, I maintain the view though that quality records due to the manufacturing, artisan and engineering skills required are not cheap and never have been.
When weve invested the kind of money most sane people goggle at in a record player it does make me chuckle that some of us grumble about the price for a quality record.
I do draw the line personally though at very expensive £100+ “HiFi Records” aimed at “audiophiles” who buy them to listen to their HiFi equipment.
Anyway that’s my twobobworth ramble on the wrong thread

Btw I noticed you mention Adele, your right there really isn’t anything at all special in her case I wouldnt have it if I was paid too :wink:
Cheers
:heart:

2 Likes

On Vinyl:
Supertramp - Breakfast in America

27 Likes

Back to an old fave after abit of exploring new to me stuff this afternoon… some dream pop as the sunsets

Is there a better track than This Woman’s Work? Just immaculate

The musicianship on the album is great too - particularly like some of the very expressive bass guitar work

17 Likes

2 Likes

Charlie Haden & Antonio Forcione - Heartplay

A nice album on (sadly) rather scratchy Naim Label vinyl.

10 Likes

A perfect pairing. Playing very quietly but still sounding beautifully rendered via 555/552. What will the 300 bring to the party in terms of low-level listening I wonder.

G

4 Likes

I don’t think we’re a million miles apart in our opinions on this. I agree that a carefully cut and pressed album is worth a bit extra.

Probably me having a bit of a rant too. Doesn’t help that the kids have blocked the bathroom sink :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Nice double LP with great sound quality.

Also available from the River place on double yellow vinyl for £50 if you have more money than sense. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Get a reputable plumber, not a cheap cowboy :wink:

1 Like

Robbie Williams - Take The Crown (Island 2LP 45rpm)

Well Mrs Dread likes him…alright!

Depending on your subjective attitude to the man it’s always a source of amusement to me that he has a song on here called Sh*t Thats On The Radio

What are YOU looking at!
:grin:

3 Likes

Well that probably is taking the p*ss!
Aimed at trendy bearded hipsters with money in their pockets (but cant get no love) to hang on their walls and pose with!

Anyway back to the music…

:wink:

5 Likes

Pssst! Wannabuy buy some vinyl?
images.jpeg

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

What an amazing talent!! Playing the half speed Abbey Road version on vinyl, which is sounding very good indeed. Last time I played this I was still using a Krystal cartridge and I thought it was bass heavy. But that has been rectified beautifully now.

18 Likes

Paloma Faith - Fall To Grace (Sony Music 2LP 2012?)

2 Likes

Have been auditioning a few “sensibly priced” carts the last weeks, surprisingly couldnt get on with the Krystal

I had mine for a couple of years, but was always disappointed with it. I got the Kandid to enable the ‘free’ bearing upgrade promotion.

1 Like