What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

£40.49 on Qobuz is as you say enough for Del and the boys to play in your living room. Second hand cd’s seem to be a little more reasonable on discogs, Amazon have the cd for £77 though Stray do stay for the week and do the ironing :laughing:

1 Like

Not listened to this in some time, but Miklós Rózsa produced some cracking film scores.

6 Likes

I have just heard that Ryuichi died on Tuesday. The album 12 was recorded after returning to a temporary home from a major cancer op. Truly sad news as he was a true invovator.

7 Likes

A giant by the giant playing in honour of Ray Shulman another casualty of the grim reaper.

11 Likes

Sakamoto - Playing the Piano - 2009

Sad news today.

11 Likes

Now playing…

Ryuichi Sakamoto - 12

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… reading of his passing in the ’ Ryuichi Sakamoto RIP’ thread and reached for his January 2023 album, ‘12’ and now taking out for a spin and is sounding sublime! …a peaceful and meditative track to open the album.

17 Likes

9 Likes

Be-Bop Deluxe - Futurama

16 Likes

Glorious spin off from last year’s Fania singles box set. One of the Fania All Stars, the splendid Ismael Miranda.

2 Likes

This is a fine album from Lee Konitz and Michel Petrucciani. Petrucciani was only 19 when this was recorded in 1982. He died aged only 36, but in his short life he recorded some wonderful music. This one is Toot Sweet.

5 Likes

Margo Price - Strays
CD|2023

6 Likes

Thanks for this. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Beauty

An album rich in musical textures - Pino Palladino on bass and Brian Wilson and Robert Wyatt on vocals.

Saw him play this live and one of my concert memories is Kazumi Tamaki & Misako Koja trying to tune their shamisens - Ryuichi was most gracious - a gentleman.

10 Likes

An EBTG special on Now Playing with Tom Robinson on 6Music - really good programme and new material is just great

6 Likes

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny

10 Likes

The first record to feature sampling. A masterpiece. RIP Sakamoto-san:

10 Likes

There are hundreds live albums in Grateful Dead official discography, unofficially thousands…) In my opinion, good periods to try in the years mentioned above. You can start by taking famous Cornell’s May 8, '77 recording, it was officially released recently and available at streaming services. Although, any May '77 recording is excellent. So is the whole year.

7 Likes

Joan Shelley – The Spur
CD|2022

6 Likes

New to me. She’s great. Worth 25 minutes of anyone’s time.

4 Likes

Imelda May - Mayhem.

10 Likes