What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Heavy Metal Kids

6 Likes

Herbie Hancock Takin’ Off / 1987 Blue Note / US CD / 094639275724
Recorded By Rudy Van Gelder + Digital Transfer By Ron McMaster

Herbie Hancock Takin’ Off / 2007 Blue Note / EU CD / RVG Edition / 094639275724
Recorded and Remastered By Rudy Van Gelder

As promised, I have dug out my 1987 US CD, and 2007 EU CD RVG remaster of Herbie’s Takin’ Off to compare. I know there are have been debates over the sound quality of all the different Blue Note LP reissues over the years, but thankfully the newer LP pressings seem to be keeping buyers very happy.

In the case of the CD issues, I am no expert and have only recently been building my BN collection, which was actually prompted by this CD!

The original US copy was given to me by a friend a number of years ago, and in isolation sounds very good - super smooth, great separation, plenty of PRAT and is very enjoyable. As the sleeve note states - the original 2 track analogue tape was used / no multi-tracking or mixing, transferring in one step by the appropriately named Ron McMaster from Rudy Van Gelder’s recording. The disc / case is quite old and not in perfect condition, so when I saw the RVG remaster edition in HMV for £4, I decided to take the opportunity to ‘upgrade’.

For the 2007 RVG issue, Rudy Van Gelder took his own recording and did the remaster using 24-bit resolution. As expected, it is clearly an improvement on the original - yes there is a shade more volume, but this issue makes the older one sound like the musicians are in another room! On the remaster, drummer Billy Higgins has finally properly joined the party with other players in front of you, and everything is much more real with the whole musical performance improved.

All the RVG editions I have sound great, and I can recommend them without hesitation.

21 Likes

After being very impressed with “Voyageur” last night, I decided to give this duo with Ry Cooder a spin, and wow, another banger!

The opening track ‘Bonde’ is majestic and sets the scene for what I hope is another compelling example of this magical genre and this particularly talented musician and singer.

Beautifully played, recorded and produced. All from ‘bog standard’ CD resolution (‘nuff said!).

Sublime
Qobuz/Roon 44.1/16
ERA-1s

24 Likes

Always liked this best of the post Wall efforts.

G

24 Likes

I saw them support Alice Cooper at Wembley 12th September 1975. Great band with the lovey Gary Holton.

2 Likes

It’s a day of playing albums by bands I saw at the Croydon Greyhound back in the ‘70’s, inspired by When Bands had to play small venues. Bit of Local History. The 76 concert by the Heavy Metal Kids was a real highlight, they never got the recognition they deserved and sadly Gary Holton passed away far to early.

6 Likes

51FStD4vn2L.AC
Steve Miller Band - Selections From The Vault, this assortment of outtakes and alternative versions shows that Miller often polishes the released tracks too much, to their detriment, imho.

8 Likes

@Biggles – I love that mask Robert - may I ask where’s it from?

2 Likes

Trapeze - You Are The Music… We’re Just The Band

11 Likes

Caravan - Cunning Stunts

Or as the band and roadies liked to announce it…

12 Likes

Following on from yesterday’s A Certain Ratio kick, here’s some primal ACR from 43 years ago, on LP:

6 Likes

I’ve been streaming a lot of the Bluenote catalogue on Qobuz and I’m amazed at how good they sound but I don’t always know which recording they use

1 Like

Workout time in the cabin, with the tunes from The Herbaliser- Very Mercenary

6 Likes

Here’s a couple you might also like Julian if you don’t already know them :sunglasses:

14 Likes

The Moody Blues " Long Distance Voyager" . Really liked this one when it was released in 1981. First time i play it after many many years and i still like it , plus the artwork is so great !

12 Likes

Powerful voice and not what I was expecting from his photo.

4 Likes

24 Likes

I’m cooking Chili for later too😋

Thanks @igahman - I’ll certainly be giving these a listen in my evening session a bit later. :ok_hand::+1:

2 Likes

A couple for Mrs QS, who paid a short visit to the cabin. Cats in Space - Atlantis first, but then she left just in time for me to put on an early Styx album (Equinox). Styx happen to be her favourite band…:man_shrugging:t2:

This is another one from the Market Stall dealer that has had a deep clean and plays beautifully :blush:

5 Likes