What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

First, self titled album from Bristol’s The Good Beast, out on September 29th via Bandcamp. Have a pre-release copy as reward for contributing to their Kickstarter. Hippyish lyrics, psych ballads, the odd spacerock workout. Worth a listen, and well worth catching live.

2 Likes

Porcupine Tree - The Incident
Only listened to this once before…

11 Likes

More goodies from
International Anthem in assoc with Don Giovanni Records.

Irreversible Entanglements Open The Gates
Spiritual jazz/free/funk/sungspoken word double LP

Edit/ Wow…side D is superb - my initial grading of ‘nice album’ just got upgraded. Heavy and heady stuff.

5 Likes

John Foxx - Metamatic -1980

Nice one Mr. Ultrafoxx :grinning:

6 Likes

A charirty shop CD … 50 p worth spent buy… great Live recording from 1989 - 90
On The Steel Whèels - Urban Jungle Tour

10 Likes

Another Charity shop CD buy Massive Attack v The Mad Professor …loving this one

12 Likes

China Crisis. What Price Paradise. 1986. Vinyl.

“Arizona Sky” is a fantastic song imho.

14 Likes

I don’t think I’ve got that one - not looking familiar- thanks @QuickSticks will sort that when returned from our jaunt up north!

1 Like

His best by far and one of my top electronic albums - hard to believe it’s well over 40 years old! - that’s aged me!

1 Like

Ditto the whole album. The production is top notch.

2 Likes

As you are probably aware, I am a huge Dream Theater fan. The Astonishing was aptly named, in that it is an astonishing awful album.
Distance Over Time is one of my all time favourite Dream Theater albums. I took Traci (Mrs QS) to see them for the very first time on the 25th anniversary tour of ‘Images & Words’ but the ‘Distance Over Time’ tour was her favourite so far. She now regularly asks me when they are next on tour… :joy:
PS: She has also met John Petrucci’s wife and spent an hour or so discussing running a busy home and kids whilst working/touring etc. It was in the 'Green Room" whilst I was on a meet and greet with John, Joe Satriani and Uli John Roth at the G3 gig in April 2018 :wink:

2 Likes

What a great day off this is turning out to be…
Three newly arrived albums (see above for two of em) and this is no slouch…my kinda day!

Ethnic Heritage Ensemble
Spirit Gatherer - Tribute To Don Cherry
Spiritmuse Records

Cant wait to get to Degi Degi - one of Don’s greats (among many). Must dig out Brown Rice after:

6 Likes

Taking some Lo Moon for a spin

1 Like

DJ-Kicks - Motor City Drum Ensemble - 2011

Terrific series that has been running for 30 years now, some great laid-back funk on this one.

1 Like

I would have thought that would have been enough!:joy:

Likewise with DT to a certain degree - but I must admit I have not kept up of late - wasn’t so keen on one album but can’t remember which - might have been something to do with someone leaving and joining Transatlantic or am I thinking wrongly - can’t seem to remember - it’s my age!

2 Likes

WOW! Portnoy formed Transatlantic with Morse, Stolt and Trewavas in 1999, but he didn’t leave DT until 2010 when Mike Mangini took over at the Drums.
His last album with DT was ‘Black Clouds and Silver Linings’. One of my all time favourite albums, that ends with everyones favourite DT song ‘The Count of Tuscany’.
Mangini’s first album was the 2011 ‘A Dramatic Turn of Events’, which in my opinion is another stunning album. YMMV :wink:

2 Likes

1971 - A Clockwork Orange // OST

19 Likes

Simply had to play this next @SimonDC :blush:

6 Likes

Oops; well I really enjoyed it… :man_shrugging:t4: