What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing, from the mid-80s, on CD

Folky and sparse in parts, a clean sound, with some great lyrics & vocals. A time machine of a CD, sounds as good now as it did then.

24 Likes

Free - Fire And Water.

21 Likes

This was recorded live at Air Studios in London on 4th March 2014 and was beamed live to selected cinemas. It were bloody great! I wish they would release it properly.

1. “Paper Bag” 4:26
  2. “Utopia” 4:11
  3. “Clowns” 4:08
    4.“Clay” 4:20
  4. “Alvar” 5:55
  5. “Little Bird” 7:20
  6. “Lovely Head” 5:10
  7. “Train” 4:13
  8. “Thea” 4:43
  9. “Strict Machine” 5:14

12 Likes

Without thread drifting too far what is special?
Cream and Demerara? Nutella?

19 Likes

All I can is they don’t make them like they used to. Shurl doing her stuff from 1962, and it sounds magnificent (IMV). Her voice is to the fore and the arrangements are outstanding. The production quality of the CD disgraces many modern ones.

Shirley Bassey with Nelson Riddle and his orchestra, Let’s Face The Music, on CD

11 Likes

Quick listening session before going out and now don’t want to:

Eric Clapton - Another Ticket.

8 Likes

Blur - The Ballad of Darren. This album withstands repeated listenings and just gets better and better

9 Likes

First thing I heard on a 222/300/250 at Bristol show way back - bought the CD last week so listening properly at home - it’s beautiful!

15 Likes

The excellent 2020 double-CD reissue from 2020. It’s a masterpiece, and “Mornin’ Glory” (a favourite of Bill Evans’, it was in his book for years) and “Courtyard” are two of the finest songs, musically and lyrically, ever written.

17 Likes

Listening to this now, really enjoying it! Cornell Campbell did an excellent roots reggae version of track 8 (Sam Cooke’s Lost & Looking) on the Money Generator (Karl Bryan & The Afrokats) rhythm.

Rescued from the shop’s bin, the best sounding CD of Behaviour.

This 1990 silver disc is wonderfully uncompressed compared to the 2001 & the godawful 2018 one.

5 Likes

Samara Joy, on CD, literally just arrived from Amazon and spinning now. A big English jazz vibe running through this. Me likey.

6 Likes

Don’t ask me why but this just sprang to mind, interesting quotes at the end of the video (not the original one which screened without the graphics but this actually looks better):

2 Likes

Really enjoying the first play of this…

2023 Craft Recordings, Contemporary Records Acoustic Sounds Series, on vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes: :grinning: :+1:t3:

6 Likes

Haven’t listened to that in ages, thanks!

I can always remember my late father saying their songs all sounded alike when I bought Please, but they always managed superb melodies early on.

1 Like

Beastie Boys (Ad Rock) & Suicidal Tendencies side project.

Simply Mortified/BS 2000

2 Likes

This album is a bit of an earworm despite being peculiar.

Sonically it sounds really well-mixed and there are some rather interesting covers though Ghosttown grates a little.

Super Lonely Freak is completely odd, a new version of Lonely In Your Nightmare which merges into an M.C.Hammer cover with schoolboy lyrics.

Spellbound is far too restrained vocally, but probably still quite accessible if you don’t know Siouxsie’s version.

1 Like

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold.

31 Likes