What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Great album Cmax… one of my favourite lyrics is…The drummer relaxes and wait’s between shows for The Cinnamon Girl…Genius…Well I think :+1:

1 Like

Thank You, there may be more Otis after this has finished, I’ve played it once already this morning, I agree its a great album.

2 Likes

On CD:-

61JaoWiKenL._AC_1

ZZ Top - Deguello

15 Likes

Otis Redding - Otis Redding Sings Soul - CD

15 Likes

Everything But The Girl Walking Wounded
1996 Virgin / UK Promo CD / Card Sleeve / CDCDJ2803

11 Likes

2 Likes

Have listened to OMD’s new (and final?) one a couple of times and really like it, Simon. If Kraftwerk did pop it might sound something like this. There is even a nod to Goldfrapp (Slow Train).

The only OMD I have is the original vinyl debut album from 1980 with the great Peter Saville cut out sleeve - must dig it out.

4 Likes

The Late Great Barbara Thompson, lucky to have seen her a couple of times and always great gigs, sadly missed.

2 Likes

14 Likes

Sadly, I never saw her live that I can recall but I do have tons of music by her, her book and her autograph. A very ‘giving’ musician, rightly held in great regard.

1 Like

Dwight Twilley Band - Sincerely (1976 UK vinyl)

Dwight Twilley, who died last week in Tulsa at age 72, never had the success I would have expected based on this power-pop classic, featuring the wonderful I’m On Fire.

This is his best work by some distance, but Twilley made gloriously tuneful, Beatles-inspired music for the rest of his career.

2 Likes

Like yourself, have most of her back catalog, and the book, sadly don’t have her autograph, that’s something to cherish, but have great memories, and she still provides lots of enjoyment. :+1:

1 Like

Barbara Thompson - Never Say Goodbye - CD

One for @Dynaudio1 and any other Barbara Thompson Fans

3 Likes

Sneakin’ Sally Through The Alley - Robert Palmer.

It’s 1974, and Robert Palmer is preparing to record his first solo album.

Tell you what, let’s chuck this Yorkshire lad on a plane to New Orleans, see whether we can get a chunk of Little Feat to do the backing, and ask Lowell George to handle production.

What a damn fine idea that was, resulting in a stunning solo debut. :+1:

13 Likes

Andrew White, Guitarra Celtica, gorgeous playing in the background whilst working.

2 Likes

Spyro Gyra Incognito / 2005 Amherst / US CD / AMH80042

Jay Beckenstein Saxophone
Tom Scott Lyricon
Jeremy Wall, Jorge Dalto, Richard Tee Piano
Marcus Miller, Will Lee Bass
Crusher Bennett, David Samuels Congas
Chet Catallo, Hiram Bullock, John Tropea, Steve Love Guitar
Toots Thielemans Harmonica
Gerardo Velez, Manolo Badrena Percussion
Rob Mounsey, Tom Schuman Synthesizer
Steve Gadd Drums

6 Likes

It got a lot of stick when it came out because it was evidently ‘trying to be authentic’! I have to say that it just seemed like a bunch of people having fun and I enjoyed it. I don’t think it was trying to be ‘authentic’. But as Dr John deemed to join them, it must have had something.

Hi Ian,
It’s an album called And They have Escaped, by an Icelandic musician named OLAFUR ARNALDS.

1 Like

Now playing-

15 Likes

I wasn’t aware of this one, I’ll have a listen. I’m familiar with his work with Elina Duni which I love. Saw them during the London Jazz Festival a few years ago.