What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Romy, Mid Air. Loved it when it first came out and after the initial impressions it’s still a cracking album.

3 Likes

These two albums were released on the same day back in September 1981 and represent peak Minds. The Forbes/MacNeil/McGee axis is just awesome (along with Hooky, Derek Forbes was an era-defining bassist), Steve Hillage’s production is just perfect, Burchill’s guitar work is his best on record and Kerr’s lyrics/singing are spot on. Every tune is a banger - and I’ll never forget that afternoon on release date when we first played “Theme For Great Cities” on my mate’s posh stereo. We must have played it 20 times that day… these are the very same vinyl copies I bought 42 years ago.

24 Likes

I came to the game later with SM, will have to give these a listen now, cheers Kev.

2 Likes

As you know Kev, right up my strasse!

I Travel.

Derek is a beast.

2 Likes

Yours truly with the great man, Mr Forbes.

8 Likes

Norwegian trumpeter Daniel Herskedal, Slow Eastbound Train. Quite similar to Jon Hassell if you’re a fan

1 Like

Absolutely agree @TheKevster fantastic Album :ok_hand:

1 Like

Mykonos - Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant

11 Likes

Nice! May The Forbes be with you @Neilb1906

1 Like

Not played this in a while

Elbow - Build A Rocket Boys!

20 Likes

LP - Sony/Legacy 2010 reissue : )

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love

Jimi Hendrix – vocals, electric guitar, piano, recorder, glockenspiel on “Little Wing”
Mitch Mitchell – drums, backing vocals
Noel Redding – bass guitars, backing vocals, lead vocals on “She’s So Fine”

Additional personnel
Gary Leeds – foot stamping on “If 6 Was 9”
Graham Nash – foot stamping on “If 6 Was 9”, backing vocals on “You Got Me Floatin’”
Trevor Burton – backing vocals on “You Got Me Floatin’”
Roy Wood – backing vocals on “You Got Me Floatin’”

Recoded at Studio Olympic, London. 1967

~<<>>~

23 Likes

Peak Minds indeed. But I also adore Empires and Dance for I Travel and Celebrate, and New Gold Dream because it’s New Gold f—ing Dream! And I’m old enough to remember the days of Johnny and the Self-Abusers.

3 Likes

Been on a nostalgia trip this afternoon, digging deep into my vinyl. Not as good as now I thought they were at the time.

9 Likes

The Cure Peel Session - 1988

Thoroughly enjoying the book as well.

12 Likes

The other thing of course is that high production costs for a video/song aren’t even necessary when the music can hold its own.

The Ese videos you posted are really good, and YouTube played Dynamite thereafter which was really nice.

I think there was a firmware mod for my Canon 5D II which allowed RED type video, never tried it, but even with manual focus that Canon DSLR produced the best family videos I’ve seen, and it’s an ancient camera so can only guess at the quality available these days.

In many ways simplicity can also work for the best in videos when the music does all the work that’s needed.

That said, I’m a sucker for fancy music videos and always have been, probably from when Duran Duran, Ultravox, Eurythmics, Visage, Human League, Kate Bush and so forth just gave us a bit of visual escapism coupled with great music.

I don’t think as yet I’ve seen anything to equal the cinematographic scale of Rammstein videos, particularly Adieu and Deutschland, though appreciate these may not be for everyone.

AI gives us threats or opportunities depending on how we look at it, thinking in particular of Within Temptation’s rather politically charged Bleed Out video.

Their most recent video Ritual is stunning though quite violent - supposedly tongue in cheek along the lines of Tarantino’s Dusk til Dawn themes, more like girl power on steroids to me!

Apologies:

Thinking about it though, Thriller was pretty gruesome at the time.

3 Likes

Joe Jackson At The BBC, listening to the first disc which features material from a Peel show and a concert recorded at Hammersmith Odeon.

12 Likes

Will do Clive. Thanks.

1 Like

Allman Brothers Band. Brothers and Sisters.
One of the best live bands ever but this is their best studio album imo which I have bought many times including the essential 4cd deluxe.

20 Likes

Every time I see that cover it brings a tear to my eye, remember my sister getting that when we were teenagers - she passed away in her early forties but it just reminds me of her. But lovely memories - thank you.

3 Likes

Alela Diane, looking glass. :smiling_face:

9 Likes