What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

2 x LP - Okeh / Sony 2018 : )

NORDUB

Sly Dunbar - drums
Robbie Shakespeare - bass, guitar, vocals
Nils Petter Molvaer - trumpet
Eivind Aarset - guitars, electronics
Vladisalv Delay - live dub, percussion
Endre Kirkesola - synthesiser
Jez Riley French - field recording
Erik Honore - synthesiser, field recording
Jan Bang - samples, brass & strings, programming, organ

Recorded at Paradiso Studio, Oslo in November 2016

~ < < > > ~

Robbie Shakespeare was born on this day in 1953

born in Kingston, Jamaica :jamaica:

Robert Warren Dale Shakespeare (27 September 1953 – 8 December 2021)

11 Likes

Rico’s The Man From Wareika minus a couple tracks. Don’t think the original was in print when I bought this CD almost 30 years ago. Uniti Core.

7 Likes

On CD. Two excellent Impulse albums by Chico.

5 Likes

The first time I heard ‘Piper’ and ‘Saucerful’ albums was through this compilation about 1977. A school friend had it on cassette!

3 Likes

Mark Hollis on Qobuz.

7 Likes

Still an album cover photo that makes me think ‘What is that?!*’ every time I see it.

3 Likes

Can’t get enough of this at the moment; The Rolling Stones, ‘Get yer ya-ya’s out’. The excellent 24/192 40th anniversary version on Qobuz.

17 Likes

Motörhead - Ace Of Spades - 1980

A teenage love affair I can’t shake off :rofl:

14 Likes

We play this album a lot, it being Mrs twofifty’s favourite Wonder along with Greatest Hits Volume2. All killa & no filla as they say. His 4th and final perfect album for me. Uniti Core.

17 Likes

19 Likes

By my reckoning, it’s the fifth of six perfect albums, because I include Where I’m Coming From and Songs in the Key of Life. If you count compilations (normally a no-no, of course!), then 1977’s Anthology (1962-1971) is also absolutely essential.

3 Likes

My favourite album of the year to date.

A live recording from Chicago.

Track One ‘First Bird’ starts off with an instrumental build up then you get Bill’s vocal - just absolutely beautiful.

Great band with Jim White on drums.

7 Likes

Grace Jones Island Life / 2018 Island / Germany CD / 8424532

15 Likes

s-l960
Pete Townshend - Scooped, a compilation, gathered from PT’s three Scoop albums, featuring his demos and home recordings, for both Who and solo material.

7 Likes

I don’t think Where I’m Coming from is as good as the 4 that follow but understand why others would. I’ve always assumed Wonder feels the same given it always seems to be out of print (more likely contractual I guess). We don’t own it but would like a copy. I accept we’re in a minority but there’s stuff on SITKOL that we actually dislike (Isn’t She Lovely being exhibit A) which means we don’t own it, have no desire to & see it as a post peak album.

Eden Brent, getaway blues. :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Sun Electric - Present - 1996

3 Likes

Me too, I had to look it up in the end,
Wikipedia …. The cover photo, taken by Stephen Lovell-Davis, is of southern Italy Easter bread designed to resemble the lamb of god. Lovell-Davis stated that Hollis selected the photo "much to the consternation of the record company.

3 Likes

Ah, so it is supposed to look like a face.
Slightly unnerving!

2 Likes

15 Likes