What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Where I’m Coming From has been available as an import from Japan for years and you can still get a copy from there.

1 Like

Earth Wind & Fire Spirit / 2012 Columbia / Japan Blu-spec CD / Paper Sleeve Edition / SICP 20357

13 Likes

Not your standards jazz trio, first time listening

3 Likes

JK is a genius.

(Especially with J.F. Jenny-Clark and Daniel Humair).

Just came across this on Qobuz.

I watched an unedited version of this 1983 jam on YT a year ago.

Great vibe between the players - apparently Albert refused to attend the live TV session when the producer offered a jam with Stevie Ray Vaughan because he’d never heard of him.

But when he realised SRV was the little Stevie, the skinny kid who he had jammed with years before he was happy to see him again.

Anyway, the SQ on this sounded a bit muffled - so I played the album In Session - wow, amazingly better SQ (although different track selection).

Kick ass blues session.

8 Likes

Lee Ritenour & Larry Carlton Larry & Lee / 1995 GRP / Germany CD / GRP98172

10 Likes

Santana - Abraxas - 1970

For anyone who has never played this masterpiece, The Village Voice at the time explained,
“a not disreputable performance, most likely a failed experiment or a pleasant piece of hackwork”.

Now there’s a review that takes a nose-dive after the first four words. Bless them.

17 Likes

Why not after her concert last night listening to her last album…

7 Likes

a very fluid guitarist!
theres a video of him letting a fan take over his guitar which I rather liked.Shows good humour which is often rare in rock stars!

2 Likes

Thompson Twins - Into The Gap - 1984

Already on to their fourth album after forming way back in 1977.

10 Likes

It’s by rock critic Robert Christgau who generally writes self-indulgent guff…!

2 Likes

Nicloa Conte Jet Sounds Revisited / 2002 Schema / Italy CD / SCCD330

Micatone Arabesque
Les Gammas Forma 2000
Nicola Conte, Gianluca Petrella Tema In Hi-Fi
Nuspirit Helsinki Jet Sounds
Thievery Corporation Bossa Per Due
Koop Fuoco Fatuo
Nicola Conte, Gianluca Petrella New Standards
Kyoto Jazz Massive The In Samba
Nicola Conte Love Me 'Till Sunday
Eddy & Dus, Jazzalektro Missione A Bombay
Espen Horne Dossier Omega
Gerardo Frisina Mambo De Los Dandies

4 Likes

I was an avid reader of TVV when I lived in NYC in the early 90’s. Guess they were always hit and miss, a bit like the NME and Sounds really.

1 Like

First play (on vinyl) of the new one by bassist Avishai Cohen. Will pass judgement when I’ve spent a bit more time with it… :thinking:

6 Likes

Always special sensitive playing, just after downloading the new firmware.

5 Likes

Ordered direct for artist web site. First copy unfortunately very warped. Replaced easily enough so I’m happy. Have to say I like it.

10 Likes

For me, Where I’m Coming From is magic because it marks the moment Stevie Wonder steps out as his own man and his own artist. It’s fantastic but a little uneven. So no, it’s not a perfect album.

I used to loathe Isn’t She Lovely but one day realised that I did so for all the wrong reasons, such as snobbery (not suggesting that’s anyone else’s reason). When it comes on now, I grin and bear it. But even with a couple of duds, SITKOL would still be miles ahead of almost anyone else’s best work, although other opinions are available.

What an artist! If anything, he remains underrated

4 Likes

A hugely important record in the history of Latin music, this was released 60 years ago and was the first album released on Fania Records (the Blue Note of Latin music, if you need a reference point).

This new all-analogue 60th anniversary edition on Craft Latino – cut by Kevin Gray – sounds fantabulous:

6 Likes

Memories of when I was young man…. enjoying the trip down memory lane.

7 Likes

Bob James + Earl Klugh Cool / 2015 Warner / Japan CD / WPCR28181

6 Likes

Japan copy of LA Woman

Just…because.

22 Likes