What are you looking to buy in 2023?

Possibly a used NDS and Non DR XPS. The challenge? To get them both including cables and within service and NDS with a new screen for as close to £3k as possible.

4 Likes

A power amp to re use my 202 in my (small) office

A new amplifier, not yet decided which one.

Other people’s posts have reminded me of two major spends I’d somehow overlooked! Both have been triggered by our decision post COVID to not move back to England now we’ve retired, or at least not in the immediate future (it is impossible to predict our feelings/needs much further ahead.

That prompted a review of our current home, with a building modification to improve one room -which happens to be the music room. It is ‘only’ taking out two stub walls where an extension had once been added, but being the gable end of the original house it a much bigger job than I at first envisaged, likely to run into several 10s of £1000s. We had the engineering calcs done a year ago, and that was expensive enough at £1800! Whether it will happen this year will depend on our sons’ moving out (latter has been anticipated six months ago, but work on their house turned out to be far more extensive than first realised), and then on availability of good builders.

Also with staying put it is time to commit to solar anergy and we are currently seeking quotes.

After modifying the music room I will need to assess acoustic treatment needs.

1 Like

An ifi Zen DAC Signature , this is to replace my UnitiQute 1. The need is for space, I am running out of it, I can see no reason why a light item like this cannot sit on my Sky box

The UnitiQute is mainly used as a DAC - and occasionally I stream from it .

It won’t be sold , it will be kept . I also have a Naim CD3 , basic - but it could combined with the UnitiQute a second smaller system, one that offers CD replay, a DAC , a streamer and amplification

3 Likes

No gear. Just lots of music.

8 Likes

A very large television. 65” minimum.

2 Likes

I read recently that with new EU energy rules some very large 4 and 8 k screens might disappear in March until the OEMs can make them more efficient. Might be worth checking out in more detail.

Thx for that, Gazza. something to keep an eye on.

The daughter & partner have just acquired an LG OLED C2 65" which does look really nice!

The issue (as my wife repeatedly points out) is that we don’t watch a lot of TV and our 20 year old 50" Pioneer plasma still looks pretty d@mn good**, but does not have even one dead pixel which could justify replacement.

**but not as nice as daughter’s!

2 Likes

I ordered it yesterday but Grahams said it might not arrive until next year: a 4-way Hydra.
It will simplify the rats nest of cables feeding my server rack where 4 Unitiqutes thrive.

1 Like

Alternative suggestion - how about a smallerTV for ‘TV’ things like News/current affairs etc, and a projector + screen for films etc, readily enabling very large without taking over the roomwhen not on, and consuming less electricity? We have a 12ft wide screen (nominally 169” diagonal on 16:9), viewed from 11ft away, creating a large screen cinema viewing experience.

2 Likes

Nice idea, but that one has already been given the “thumbs down”! :laughing:

I didn’t argue; as Harry Callaghan put it, “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

5 Likes

Yes I’m declaring my intent, a Vertere SG arm for my TT and new cartridge to be decided with the help of @Cymbiosis through his various Aro tops. And more vinyl :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Probably upgrading the Kore sub-chassis to Keel at some point on the LP12, maybe some GAIAs for the venerable Spendor A7’s and an XPS for the ancient but still mighty CDX2. Outside of hi-fi and into real world stuff, I’m weighing up a few bicycle options to act as a Winter bike instead of my main ride which is far too impractical and frankly expensive to take out in the muck and rain. I think that ought to do it.

1 Like

May depend on how it is viewed (excuse the pun!) My wife was unsure, but once done she loves it - the TV became smaller, and watching films so much better. And neither of us wanted to watch things like news on a huge TV screen, nor other programs consisting mainly of head shots, so limiting TV size, but for films and similar, and wildlife programs etc the bigger the better, after a discussion we agreed to try. The trial was a borrowed projector on a table and two sheets hanging over the window, with plain stereo through the hifi - after one film we agreed to go ahead!

1 Like

Yes I had a projector and 100" screen for about 10 years. I’d never go back. Picture on a TV is so much better… And I don’t have to dim the lights. Or hear the fan.

A Naim streamer pre-amp if one arrives is my priority.
Possibly an upgrade for my LP12.
Likely to buy some small speakers for a bedroom system.

1 Like

a momentary lapse of reason I dreamed of buying it…:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Will definitely be in the market for a new turntable to replace my venerable Pro-ject 0.5 It’s served me well but is the “poor man” of the system (Uniti Star, Focal 926’s). Uncertain as to what to replace it with but will have a budget in the £2K mark.

1 Like

World is your oyster.