What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Inspired by @ANTZ the other evening I put together a Shepage/Cottherds pie … using half lamb half beef it’s neither one nor the other …

Here’s the fellow out of the oven with the potatoes crispy on top with just the merest hint of brown …

and this one is the end product with the sharpest white and red cheeses you can find, freshly cracked black pepper and another 30 minutes in the oven … that dark gravy is to die for … Worcestershire sauce being the magic ingredient …

6 Likes

Japanese Autumn Salad with Goma Dare Sauce, Braised Pork Belly and Rice.

Cheers

6 Likes

That looks absolutely lovely

Thank you. We love Japanese food.

Me too. My wife and I were lucky enough to go to Japan 2 years ago and I absolutely loved the food. I have been dabbling ever since. Can’t wait to return once this is all over

1 Like

These have been on the go for 24 hours but finally baked starting at 8.30 pm tonight. We have been using sourdough starter for nearly three years now starting with this recipe. Food in Isolation

Basically, the change is to kneed and knock back the bread to get as good a rise (don’t get carried away) as baking yeast. Sourdough is the natural healthy way to make bread because the natural yeast has time to break down the stuff in flour that baker’s yeast and fast bread making doesn’t. And what’s more it tastes so much better.

So why not start your dinner soup course with proper healthy bread or bread rolls.

Phil

The size variation is because of different tin shapes. I don’t divide the dough until I knock back after about 5 hours. So about 400 gms plus of starter, 1600 gms of flour, 700 gms or so of water and 20 gms of salt. The water is added sufficient to get the dough when kneaded elastic without being sticky. Takes about 15 minutes of kneading.

9 Likes

This may look like a bangers and mash job with extra gravy like you could once order from the local.
But, this is one of my sausage creations. Using ground old spot pork belly and secret spices. Red Rooster mash with leek roasted pork bone reduced gravy.
With boiled frozen peas of course.

9 Likes

Sometimes it’s the simplest of things, that looks wonderful.

1 Like

Proper tea, that is.

2 Likes

Why do communists drink green tea?

Because ‘proper tea’ is theft

I’ll get my coat

8 Likes

Not sure what this was meant to be, but after a nice day pottering about in the kitchen.
Swede rosti. Slow cooked lamb shoulder pulled noisette. Black cabbage and roast parsnips ( perhaps over done ) and sweet lamb broth.
Nice. The swede rosti was definitely edible, but I could do with tweaking it to another level.

8 Likes

Sadist :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

That looks absolutely amazing !!!

1 Like

I christened my oyster knife last night - here’s the detritus.

I cannot describe the sheer joy and pleasure of oysters - naked and unadorned.

8 Likes

They always make my tummy feel “Happy”

1 Like

That would be the dopamine rush!

2 Likes

Not wishing to offend, or trying to teach grannies. Having seen the results of not doing so, please tell me that when you were actually shucking that the blade was locked. Just that it appears unlocked in the picture.

1 Like

Ah yes - you are seeing it after its been washed and about to to go on the Everhot to dry.
Ive used many strange implements in the past, but always return to the proper job.

1 Like

Pan fried halibut loin with little roast potatoes, purple sprouting and sauce maltaise. Sauce maltaise is a hollandaise but with blood orange instead of lemon. TBH I found it quite pudding like so won’t bother again!

4 Likes

Can’t beat fresh shucked oysters.

1 Like