What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Tormek are the original modern whetstone grinder. I originally came across them used by wood carvers, a fine stropped finish essential where the finish from the tool is the only finish you can get. Woodturners started using them but found that too smooth a finish wasn’t quite working. My theory is that with some items a slightly rough edge is better. A shiny whetstone then stropped edge is great for carrots, but doesn’t work on tomatoes. For me, a scallop edge breadknife makes it easier to finely slice tomato or cucumber.
There are alternative brands, Record Power are good, but watch out for some of the multi-badged ones. Definitely try before you buy, if only to make sure the wheel is concentric.
If you get one, buy a couple of pound shop knives to practice on before your Global.
The Tormek website now shows a T1 kitchen knife grinder, diamond wheel, but only available in Sweden.

2 Likes

Well this air fryer gadget continues to impress with small joints.

Pork in this instance cooked at 140C for around 75 minutes vs 2 hours recommended in an oven.

5 Likes

Cheers it was very tasty, I’ve become a huge fan of roasted cabbage. Drizzle a little olive oil some pepper and pinch of salt you do need to keep an eye on it as it only takes a 10-15 minutes max. Hard not to singe the top but a bit of colour never hurt anyone. Sure beats how we use to cook it, boiled till it had no taste or texture.

3 Likes

Pork in cider casserole, with onions, carrots, mushrooms and thyme.

When it reappears from the oven, it gets finished with fresh cream and served with parsley mash.

That’s a piccy from the recipe webpage, and if my effort tastes even half as good as that looks, I’ll be well happy. :pray:

9 Likes

Soup.

Was intended to be a traditional Welsh cawl but ended up being a vegetable soup with both lamb and chicken.

Wow that was both tasty and filling.

4 Likes

So up in the wilds of North West Donegal.
Shipped out with not only 2 Zalto Burgungy glaases, but also the Sous Vide tank and ‘pipe’. Cooked a small fillet joint for 3.5 hours at 55.5 deg, then seared on top of a wood burning Chimera.
1st serving served with Mash, onion gravy and a South Africa Reserve Syrah. Amazing.
2nd serving, served pre-sliced cool in foil packages with Red wine Gravy, and Horseradish between layers, served with Sauted potatoes and a Cote de Rhône - delicious

Chilling out to mobile music service, with a lovely Bouzeron, in the Zalto’s.

3 Likes

Your curry looks delicious. I almost always put cauliflower florettes (gobi) in my curries, goes beautifully.
I buy Basmati rice in 10 lb bags. We usually make 4 cups (raw) of rice at a time and freeze it in sandwich bags so the meal is a bit quicker. It freezes very well.

2 Likes

I have a small Rice Cooker, basically a 2 person size.
Cooks all forms of Rice beautifully, automatically and then keeps it warm until you need to serve.

2 Likes

Yes, the rice cookers work very well. I’m just amazed at how well rice reheats after freezing. Much of the rice we make is served with or under a curry, so we throw in some cloves to season it. The clove flavour is subtle tho so it’s fine with other dishes. Tonight we had an excellent chicken korma.

1 Like

Slow cooking some pork belly at the moment - just threw in some veg to cook in the pork fat. Lazy cooking is the best. The chillies I grew myself (outside) - been a good year for them.

I’ll coat the pork with honey, soy sauce and ginger a little later.

6 Likes

To quote Crowded House, now we’re getting somewhere…

5 Likes

To quote Bryan Adams, I’m finding it hard to believe I’m in heaven…

10 Likes

Bresaola e mozzarella di bufala.

6 Likes

Beef curry :curry: with pilau rice :rice:

Already in fridge , stick in oven, cook gently . Not a day for cooking :shallow_pan_of_food:

2 Likes

Greek food called souvlaki not same like gyros it,

s pork meat marinaded 3 hours earlier by lemon juice,oregano,tyme,extra virgin olive oil,salt the pork is later placed into skewers grilled. for the sause i made a tzaziki sause it haves garlic,cucumber greek yogourt olive oil,salt. all comes into a pita brad and tomatos and red onions are added.

17 Likes

Thanks, was wondering what to have for tonight’s dinner without going to the shops.

On a day like today, it simply has to be The Best of British … … … so it’s bangers and mash, Chez Dave, later on. :scotland: :uk:

13 Likes

Would that work with chicken instead of pork ?

That looks good too. Simple meal but tasty.

probally yes

1 Like