What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Looks like a feast, enjoyy

1 Like

Mushroom risotto. Wife recovering from 24 gastric bug and wanted something rich but no meat or fish - happy to oblige!

9 Likes

Lasagne

7 Likes

chicken parm

4 Likes

last night Lamb with Dauphinoise Pots - very nice too

15 Likes

My version of cauliflower cheese. This is pasta on the bottom cauliflower on the top, with bacon added for good measure. Mrs L has mainly cauliflower with a little pasta, i have pasta with a little cauliflower. Works out well & tastes yummy.

10 Likes

Sauerkraut, walnut and raclette galette.

11 Likes

Looks fab!

1 Like

Love raw sauerkraut. Wouldn’t that neutralise all the live probiotics ?

Probably but i think its just used to provide some acidity to the filling rather than for the health benefits of fermentation.

1 Like

Still. Looks lovely. what’s your recipe if you don’t mind me asking.

Well it’s not dinner but I made this quince jelly today.
It’s not setting like it should (104degree C), could be my thermometer is playing up.

5 Likes

Came from a recent paper, think it might be nigel slater’s recipe

Sauerkraut, fontina and walnut galette

By all means use a metal pie plate if you find it easier than baking the pie on a baking sheet. If you wish, you could make a vegetarian gravy for this, adding stock to browned onions and root vegetables, thyme and bay, and letting it simmer for an hour. Serves 8

For the pastry:
plain flour 250g
salt a large pinch
caraway seeds 1 tsp
butter 150g, cold
egg yolk 1, beaten
iced water 2 tbsp

For the filling:
onions 2, medium to large
olive oil 3 tbsp
sauerkraut 250g
fontina 225g, or other firm grating cheese
parsley leaves 10g
walnuts 100g
grain mustard 1 tbsp
egg 1, beaten

Make the pastry: put the flour in a large mixing bowl and add the salt and caraway seeds. Cut the butter into small pieces, add to the flour, then rub the two together with your thumbs and fingertips. (Alternatively use a food processor.) When you have a texture that resembles fresh breadcrumbs, stir in the beaten egg yolk and enough iced water (2-3 tbsp) to bring everything together into a soft, rollable dough. Wrap and leave in the fridge to rest for about 30 minutes.

Get on with making the filling: peel the onions and finely slice them into rings. Set the oven at 180C/gas mark 6.

Warm the oil in a deep pan set over a moderate heat, add the onions and let them cook until pale gold and soft. This will take a good 25 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the sauerkraut to the softened onions. Coarsely grate the cheese and set aside. Roughly chop the parsley and the walnuts, then stir into the softened onions with the mustard. Set aside while you form the tart.

Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment. Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll into a circle 30cm in diameter. Carefully lift on to the lined baking sheet. Stir the grated cheese, reserving some for later, into the onions and sauerkraut, then season with a little salt and black pepper. Pile the filling on to the pastry leaving a large gap, about 6-7cm, around the edge.

Fold the edge of the pastry up and slightly over the filling. Brush the pastry rim with beaten egg. Scatter the rest of the cheese over the top, place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes until golden.

Leave the tart to rest for 15 minutes or so before slicing and serving

There was no fortina at the shop so i replaced it with the raclette when i picked up the other bits.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yeh, this looks like a Nige recipe.

1 Like

As kitchen botherers, we must have all seen some odd things. But what about angry vegetables?

16 Likes
1 Like

Ah sorry - missed that you had posted recipe

2 Likes

You should put this on “The Wall” thread🤣

1 Like

Lasagna just out of the oven.

8 Likes

Looks just like the one I cooked on Sunday😋