What are your favourite foods?

No matter what culture or country we are from, or wherever we are on the face of the earth, food is a huge part of our lives, right?

Below are the my kinds of food (apart from Roast Beef + Yorkshire Pudding, Steak and Kidney Pie of course):

Chirashi Don

Ramen

Peking Duck

Disclaimer: Some of these photos are not mine, but they typically represent the kinds of foods that I like.

4 Likes

13 Likes

Pork pies. Egg in, no egg in – whatever. I just love pork pies. If they have black pudding in them, so much the better.

16 Likes

Kev, someone so high up on the echelons of the recording industry should at least do a bit of manicure every now and then! :wink:

4 Likes

I like getting my hands dirty Tony. :innocent:

2 Likes

…it might be his chef?

3 Likes

Sack the bugger! :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

My own home smoked cheese.

12 Likes

i like cheese…
(goes well with red wine).

:innocent: :joy: :wink:

5 Likes

Cheese … I like all sorts, but as a Gloucestershire lad I usually have single and double Gloucester available. I am partial to Montgomery’s cheddar.

To add to a food thought from @Richard.Dane: roast chicken. I like to brine my birds, bought from the market, once I return home on Saturdays. The brine consists of salt, sugar (dark brown), onions, garlic, pepper corns and herbs. There is always a rush to make the brine, cool it, before adding the bird for an overnight soak. The bird is taken out of the brine before I walk the dog, it’s popped back into the fridge uncovered, then removed from the fridge an hour or so before a long slow roast - ready once we’ve returned from our Sunday pints.

4 Likes

It’s a tough choice between my own shepherd’s pie (and even better second time around) or roast chicken with roast potatoes, parmesan roast parsnips, orange glazed carrots, peas and broccoli, with bread sauce and gravy made from the giblet stock and the chicken roast juices. The Shepherd’s pie is a treat to have for supper and the roast chicken is something I do for many Sunday lunches throughout the year.

Even better, they both go very well with some of my favourite wines, particularly those with some age on them.

5 Likes

Yum….we missed them so much when we lived in America we made our own, must try it again❤️

1 Like

7 Likes

Half a dozen oysters and a cold glass of Muscadet

Bangers and mash

Pizza (particularly my homemade version that I have been perfecting for years)

Homemade roast chicken (no pic)

Cheese (especially English cheese) and red wine. If I couldn’t have cheese I don’t think life would be worth living

9 Likes

My favourite restaurant is a grand old place in the 8th arrondisement of Paris called Lasserre, which The Termagant and I first blundered into in 1992. It is very traditional (and VERY expensive), although the use of cream, butter and foie gras has gone down over the past 20 years ago in one of the few concessions to modern cookery.

It is famous for its sliding roof and for a number of signature dishes - lettuce mousse, lobster l’americaine with asparagus, Challans duck with blood orange (carved and pressed at table), pigeon André Malraux (pigeons stuffed with bacon, liver, coxcombs, foie gras, wild rice and mushrooms in a pigeon stock, Noilly Prat and butter sauce), Timbale Elysée, lime vacherin, olive oil ice cream , mescagle londais (chicken with butter, cream, foie gras, and truffle), crêpes suzette (cooked and flamed at table) and this:

Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 15-35-53 RESTAURANT LASSERRE, Paris - 8th Arr - Elysee - Menu, Prices, Restaurant Reviews Reservat...

It’s basically a lattice of macaroni with foie gras, parmesan and black truffle. Absolutely delicious.

When we return to Lasserre next year (hopefully) that’s what I will be having. Along with pies and Japanese food, French haute cuisine is my favourite food.

8 Likes

I am with you there - for my 40th (17 yrs ago, ahem) my wife and I went to Pierre Gagnaire’s eponymous restaurant and it remains the best meal
I have ever had. I lost count after the 12th course! We had some fabulous wines and it was bloody brilliant. A friend of mine who used to cook with the man organised it and we were sat on the best table which was on a raised platform. Rest of restaurant were looking to see who we were - little did they know that we were nobodies!

4 Likes

One of my al fresco favourites

3 Likes

The first time The Termagant and I visited, in October 1992, it was the best meal I have ever had. We started off with a Bellini each, then oysters and a glass of Sancerre, she had the Challans duck and I the Pigeon André Malraux (accompanied by an incredible red Chassagne-Montrachet), with an île flotante for her and profiteroles filled with pistachio crême pat on a bed of saffron ice cream with hot bitter dark chocolate sauce for me to finish. Unbelievable. I still love going back, the service is amazing, the room is amazing and the cooking out of this world (despite losing two of its three Michelin stars).

9 Likes

Hi Kev, interesting. Unfortunately I would never afford such restaurants. Or maybe should I delete my next purchase of the Entreq discover power cable and go instead to “ Lassere” ? :face_with_monocle:
For me it’s audio upgrades or “ Maldives” isles holidays or “ Le Meurice” restaurant. But not the three :joy:

Le Meurice

1 Like

Hifi is important but not as important as good food and wine (IMO)!

6 Likes