What are your thoughts: NDX 2 or Auralic Altair G2.1/Vega G2.1?

Would members please respect and abide by forum rules. Please do not import discussion or arguments from other forums (ASR in this case). Thanks.

2 Likes

Back on subject, I have located an Aries G2.1 hopefully on its way soon.

Congratulations on your purchase bruss. It will be very interesting to hear what you have to say on how the Aries G2.1 compares to the G1. It would also be interesting to know how either of them compare to the NDX2. Or any Naim product for that matter, I think the streaming platform is one of the strengths of the Naim line up as it stands at present.

Also very interested in your opinions :slight_smile:

Thanks. As I said before the reason I have gone this route is for Amazon hi res. I havenā€™t had to compare to the Naim equivalent and I can now stick my fingers in my ears La la la. :smile:

( Incidentally I have agreed the price of the Vega but am still awaiting the pro forma for confirmation, not quite in the bag yet)

I bought the Topping A90, it is really excellent, well above the headphone output of my 272 and very close to a Benchmark HPA4 that I listened to not long ago with my Focal Clearā€¦

They measure noise, distortion because they are easier to measure. However, the timing of produced sound is much more important.
The noise and distortion do not matter when they are beyound the ear limits. I consider these measurements and the corresponding hardware design as a snake oil.
People like vynil - remember that - which is measured badly if compared to the most of dacs.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad itā€™s going well registise. Myself, I ordered a Topping A90 Discrete which should be arriving next week. I look forward to trying it out with the E30 from my MacBook Pro, and from my Uniti Core. However I can only compare it to the headphone output of my Atom (Speaker Edition :smile:). I may well get a D90LE DAC as well, as I can probably use another DAC, and it would be interesting to know it I can hear any difference between the E30 and the D90. (Probably not :smirk:)

Pauel, audio electronics have been on the planet even longer than I have, and in all that time electronics have moved forward like no other technology in history. What may have been true in the 1960ā€™s no longer applies. There is nothing about low frequency, low power electronics (audio) that canā€™t be measured relatively easily, and Iā€™m sure the engineers at Naim have a well equipped lab to do all that.

You make a good point about whether we can actually hear the differences that are being achieved today in audio electronics, but it works both ways does it not? Can we be sure that there is an audible difference between - for example - a Nova and a 500 series system, when both are working within their performance envelope (no clipping, same volume, etc)? If I had just spent a ton of money on the latter, I would certainly like to think so, and on listening I would hear it for sure! But who really knows?

And I do know that people like vinyl, which measures badly because it does indeed distort. But there is work to show that listeners acclimate to sounds, and then actually prefer the ā€œdistortedā€ sound. That is one reason tube amps with their typical high output impedance were popular for so long.

Vinyl lovers prefer the distorted sound. Itā€™s a joke. :joy::joy:

1 Like

Iā€™d tell people just like the vynil sound signature. The best sound is what you you like the most regardless of the measurements.

1 Like

Such a nice insight in the Fridayā€™s evening!

1 Like

That is very true and I agree with you on this point. Plus, people also enjoy the participatory aspect of vinyl: cleaning the record, getting the arm in place, the big liner notes. And why not? Itā€™s a hobby after all.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.