What aren't your speakers good at?

You are right. Most seem to avoid directly answering the question. I’ll try to be completely honest. I often miss the coloration of some of my older speakers. Particularly in the midrange. The scan speak paper cone drivers (revelator/illuminator) add a little spice/ lushness that I really really like. Seas high end drivers in my current speakers are good but sometimes a bit too neutral and lack excitement.

2 Likes

I bet that if you improve on amplification, they get a lot extra scale!

1 Like

The height is compatible for the Japanese market.

I changed my previous, 18 year old standmounted Dynaudio contour 1.3’s for Spendor A7’s earlier this year. Whilst I love the looks, the control of the Spendors, the way vocals are presented, the fact they do that “disappearing” thing the best speakers seem to, I miss the Contours’ “fun” - they had the boogie factor in spades.

1 Like

I see what you did there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Mine sometimes are a bit harsh in the top end and lack scale and bass weight.

1 Like

Not in my experience, unless sitting near a quartet in a large venue for example, but not with piano etc. It’s not in the nature of the instrument.

But I’m obviously thinking of performances that aren’t miked…

Getting back to the Shahinians, they aren’t the fastest or most resolving, but that’s been the only trade-off for me. Sound apart, I very much prefer them physically to the tower of power alternatives that produce decent scale and sense of live venue… thought there really aren’t any alternatives

2 Likes

Spendor 3/5 - not good at electronic, orchestra, dense heavy metal. Even my wife was able to notice these things.
However, they are excellent with vocal, jazz, blues, guitar, cello, piano, etc.
So, my tastes have beem transformed towards what they play good :slight_smile:

4 Likes

And dare I ask how do they represent a balalaika? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please pay attention at the back of the class: clearly covered by etc.!

… or even guitar - its a kind of triangle shaped guitar.

Quite impressive! However, to save peace I do listen to balalaika when my wife is not at home :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agree, piano tends to mess things up in this respect, what a nightmare!:slight_smile:

My fairly small speakers also lack the scale and some of the Hall presence, they also always like to be clear and beautifully expressive and lack the less insistent and unobtrusive e.g. JBL L100 type of a more careless/relaxed, but equally beautiful and attractive sound and attitude to life.

2 Likes

I would agree with @Michaelb - if you close your eyes when listening to a string quartet at a concert, you are aware that the first violin is on the left, and the cello on the right, but that’s as far as it goes. I’ve often tried it.

I’ve recently been to a concert where the musicians were not visible, they were hidden behind some plants / boards. It was actually a much better experience because it stopped one watching the musicians.

Who cares about stereo if the music is just surrounding you.

1 Like

Jazz (Ovator s600) - well that’s my excuse for not listening to it any more.

1 Like

Try some organmusic on Ovators - that’s just brilliant. I somehow find the timbre of strings a bit off on Ovators.

1 Like

Try e.g. Wigmore Hall if you have a chance, takes me a while to adapt back to my imperfect poor home hifi after being there…

… or Club 606 for that matter - the drummer might just be on your table … with absolute pin point unmistakable accuracy:)

2 Likes

Doing the washing up.

5 Likes

My Isobariks aren’t good at washing up.

They never get a round in at the pub either…

3 Likes