What beer are you drinking and WHY might anyone be interested?

Onerahi, on the Whangarei Harbour in Northland, New Zealand. The sun is just setting.

4 Likes

That figures it’s not frozen over, ruled out our friends in the northern hemisphere

1 Like

17 degrees C in N. Wales yesterday!

1 Like

Stay out of the sun, and kept the fluids up.

1 Like

Standard lager

1 Like

Lederer Pils.

Also did a huge upgrade with my home brewery with a glycol chiller unit and two conical fermenters.

5 Likes

I took a punt on this beer this evening … very smooth and enjoyable … long time since I had a milk stout … Mackeson ?

6 Likes

Beer.Good.

8 Likes

Very smooth with a delightful aftertaste :yum:

7 Likes

Came across this in bottles for the first time shopping the other day, and had a pint this eve. It didn’t disappoint! Quite some depth of flavour with good hoppy finish, very reminiscent of the draught version of which I’ve had the odd few pints during motorcycle events in the Isle of Man, it being named after the first year of the TT. As usual the bottled version is quite a bit stronger than draught.

Okell’s 1907

5 Likes

I used to work with a lady whose old uni friend was chief masher in Henley; a tour of the brewery was memorable . I had lived in Nettlebed and Brakespears still holds fond memories for me.

1 Like

That’s very good news indeed!

4 Likes

Better than Karhu III. Used to drink lapin kulta when I was working in Helsinki. Stayed if possible in the Torni hotel with it’s nice bar.

1 Like

Little present from my wife. Just wondering if it’s from Trotter’s Independent Brewery?!

4 Likes

My local pub (large group), now has this superb ale on tap (Harvey’s Sussex Best) - I may have to pay a few more visits, purely in the interests of checking quality control (obviously) :grinning:

7 Likes

Just finished working in Luxembourg today, so:

3 Likes

Sussex Best is a lovely pint.

Harvey’s on tap has always been a favourite ever since my early days of fruit and hop picking to earn a bit of money before the end of the holidays - most of the pubs around here serve it on tap, and a few pints of Harvey’s at the end of the day was the norm. It’s still good today, but I do wonder whether the flavour of fresh hops has been toned down a bit since. I haven’t tried it from the bottle yet, but I shall seek some out and give it a go.

For bottled bitter, I usually go for another fairly local ale, Spitfire from Shepherd Neame…

10 Likes

Richard - the 3 beers we used to look out for when on sporting travels (aided by The Good Beer Guide) were Harvey’s, King and Barnes and Shepherd Neame - IIRC the SN pubs were largely easterly of most of my travels. It may be my ageing taste buds but I think several beers have moderated flavours compared to yesteryear. I’m not a fan of the many golden ales which now pervade the market, and I include the likes of Doom Bar in this. Mind you, many of the real ales back then were a bu**er to pour from the pump due to the liveliness and froth and, IIRC, you had to let the kegs settle for a few days.

Obviously, the market consolidation by the likes of S&N in acquiring breweries meant that a lot of the sizeable indies were gobbled-up.

Thankfully, I still have access to Fuller’s ESB on draft around my area - best bought as a jug to share, when not driving :grinning:

1 Like