What book are you reading right now?

Just dipping back into the Did.

1 Like

Not really a Chaplin fan but as a massive movies buff I can appreciate that he was a titanic figure in the industry, particularly from 1915–40, and Ackroyd is a brilliant writer so I am looking forward to really getting stuck into this:

2 Likes

Peter Ackroyd is a brilliant writer, often writing about the old East End of London (where I lived for twenty years). His (semi-fictional) ‘Dan Leno And The Limehouse Golem’ is a wonderful read, not least because you can walk around the various places where the novel is set.

Volume 2 of J Todd Scott’s saga of life for the sheriff in Murphee near El Paso.
Volume 1 in the regarded series by RF Kuang.
Ninjas and politics in an imaginary world based upon medieval China.
Spies after Cromwell’s death and departure from the Civil War.

Number 8 in the zHelen Grace series.
Blimey, she has been into some strange investigations.
Used to enjoy the character more when she was psychologically more complicated. But a lot of the self inflicted misery and torture seems to have vanished.

About 15/20 days and nights worth. I am no longer a great sleeper.
Reasonably varied,I think. I make great use of my Kindle Oasis.
I don’t’do’ non fiction. I have enough facts to try and remember already.

3 Likes

Not me but my daughter seems to have shifted from dystopian teen novels to books on feminism.

Yikes, I think I need to be careful - maybe I should read them myself?

She was surprised I had an audiobook by Marie Kondo (decluttering goddess) playing in the car a few weeks ago mind you.

Maybe all us blokes should.

2 Likes

This got me into reading as a teenager. A few years later I found myself reading Dostojevski c.s

4 Likes

So what’s it about? Well er crop circles. Is that it? OK maybe friendship oh and war(s) oh and the crop circle hangers-on oh and the British countryside. Seriously though a magical lyrical essay on all these things and more during one year’s summer months.

51C-uJ94X1L

Artisan Pizza at Home.

Maybe not the finest storyline, but the end result will be worth it, hopefully. :pizza: :yum: :yum: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

And a few years after that, I hope you realised that James Herriot is way more fun. :wink:

2 Likes

s-l500

2 Likes

£1.99 on yer Kindle so I will have a read. Hopefully it will be a poem to what’s left of our countryside.
Praised by no end of folk on the Amazon website none of whom I have ever heard of. The Daily Mail tells me it’s a joy….so it will be interesting to see if we can agree on something :wink::wink:.

1 Like

Dune and Dune Messiah are both brilliant, with Messiah just edging it as the better of the two.

Children Of Dune, the third in the series is ok but from then on they get weaker and weaker; like overchewed gum.

Of course YMMV…

steve

1 Like

I got all 6 of the Frank Herbert Dune novels as a birthday present and I must say I’ve found the first one excellent, I’m about to start Dune Messiah so I’ll let you know what I think.

Been meaning to read this since I first picked up a bat and ball.

4 Likes

2nd in the Campion series. Really enjoying so far.

2 Likes

I’m listening to this in talking book form - my book at bedtime.

1 Like

3 Likes

Yeah mine went through all those, then got her to try The Man in the High Castle suggesting it was more of the same :angel:t2: It worked though, she then moved on quite widely thereafter and can’t pass a 2nd hand bookshop without browsing.

2 Likes

Currently reading Adrian Tchaikovsky’s ‘Shards of Earth’, after reading 'Cage of Souls. Fantastic Sci-Fi, one of the best in the genre.

1 Like