What book are you reading right now?

And what a fabulous book this turned out to be. Funny, astute, a brilliant turn of phrase and even the initially jarring and odd “cult” turned out to be quite a subtle thing. A book worth coming back to and reading again I suspect.

Now onto a book I actively resisted when it first came out. This was before I fully appreciated just what a wonderful writer Saunders is and saw him in conversation too. Lumbered myself with a paperback but it’ll have to do.

4 Likes

Arrived today.

2 Likes

Just been lent this. I’m told it is fascinating.

4 Likes

I had read his first collection of short stories and was underwhelmed. To me he seemed to be writing the same story over and over.

But Lincoln in the Bardo was quite different - brilliant and moving. Highly recommended.

In the meanwhile, I’m halfway through Europe Central. Next week, I’m on vacation, and I’ll probably pause for something simpler. As a theatergoer, I’m planning on Song of Spiderman - a backstage look at the making of the $70,000,000 (you read it right) Spiderman musical.

Lincoln In The Bardo was everything the reviews said it was. The problem with labelling books as extraordinary is the tendency of those who’ve not read them to see them as dry or somehow difficult when, as in this case, the opposite is true.

I’ve about half a dozen books to choose from next and my inclination is to actually go for his short stories. His book on reading Russian short stories was my way into him and was as engaging as Lincoln so… we’ll see.

I read the short story book as well. Well worth a read - especially by people who would like to read “better.”

Also excerpts on BBC Radio 4 (5 x 14 minutes) via BBC Sounds if you can access that.

3 Likes

s-l500

2 Likes

There’s also a really good series just come out on Netflix about Fukushima Daiichi called ‘The Days’. Well worth a watch.

1 Like

I watched that - which took me to this book… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For some reason Toni Morrison never made onto my shelves but if this is typical then I’ll be moving on to Beloved etc… A modern odyssey, brilliantly realised.

4 Likes

Christopher Brookmyre is a modern Scottish author, who occupies the same space as is occupied by Ian Rankin, although it’s not a crime novel. I read some of his novels years ago, when I was staying with an uncle just outside Edinburgh.

I’ve decided to read them all now, starting with his first, ‘A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away’.

I find even the title very amusing!

2 Likes

Reading Beloved was an extraordinary experience for me. Every few pages, I’d have to stop and walk around my apartment to digest its power.

1 Like

Bhoyo and I recently conversed about W E Bowman’s ridiculous ‘The Ascent Of Rum Doodle’. It is a parody of books that were being written about the then-unconquered Mount Everest (which is Rum Doodle in the book). It is, apparently, a cult classic amongst mountaineers and hill climbers - I am neither!

I like to read it every 10 or 15 years, once I have forgotten all the ridiculousness that goes on within its pages.

And, while I am reading it, I have to put it down every so often, and cry great tears of laughter.

1 Like

IMG_1845

New Robert Harris just popped up in the daily Kindle bargains (inflation £1.99) Tale around the inter-regnum.

Should fit in with current series we are reading which is placed within a similar timeframe.
IMG_1846

1 Like

I’m really enjoying this one.

1 Like

2 Likes

Have been watching a series on WW1 on PBS America, which I’ve liked. The credits say it is based on a book by this author so thought I’d give a book a read.

3 Likes

2 Likes

The best label ever to exist wasn’t all about Tony, bless his beautiful soul, so I’m looking forward to diving into this (signed by the author):

2 Likes