What chair are you listening from?

All my life I have wanted an Eames recliner, and my other half has said she will get me one next year for my 60th. This will become my listening chair, but I have started wondering if this would make a good listening chair.

Does anyone have any experience/advice regarding using an Eames as a listening chair?

What other chairs are people using and is it any good? If so, why?

This is something I have never given much thought to, so any advice is welcome.

Cheers
G.

Ikea POANG here, with associated footstool. It keeps my backside off the floor and the feet in a comfy place.

1 Like

Stressless recliner, Chez Dave. Very comfortable, almost 10 years old, and still going strong.

1 Like

Ekorness Stressless Mayfair (large)
Why ? because it’s comfortable, no sonic features were considered when I bought them.

2 Likes

I would feel a bit antisocial sitting in a strategically placed chair - we use a very comfy sofa bought last year from Loaf.

6 Likes

I’ve had one of those for 24 years, and in all that time I never really found it comfortable. Some of our guests find it comfy, so it must be me I guess.

Dave Marshall and Mike-B, thanks. I’ve heard of them, and must go try one.

I have two systems in different rooms. One is in the main lounge with the TV and we sit opposite on a nice comfy sofa, and I agree, a strategically placed chair in that room would be anti-social. The other is a smaller sitting/media room so being anti-social in there is ok because my wife doesn’t care so much in there.

Great looking slouchy sofa btw.:+1:

1 Like

It’s ok for the feet, the chair is just so-so. I used to relax on the settee in the living room but found that uncomfortable after a long session. If I ever get round to fixing the webbing our old Queen Anne chair would be the ideal solution.

1 Like

LOL. You seem to have thought of everything there Dan. Straps to keep you in exactly the right listening position, built in headphones, slots to stop nasty reflections off the wood by your ears, and electricity, I assume to keep you warm. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

I have an Eames in my study (‘qute with ceiling speakers). My better half has prime position on sofa that she shares with the dog, I’m off centre in a chair as my main system is also fed by the tv.

1 Like

Leather reclining sofa - my side just happens to coincide with the perfect listening position! On the occasions my wife joins me for a listening session she’s quite happy sitting slightly off-centre.

I think all that matters is your weapon of choice be comfortable without sending you to sleep! I don’t think fixation with brand needs to extend to listening chairs - there are hundreds of comfortable pieces of furniture out there. More important to pay for comfort and quality rather than branding.

1 Like

Graeme, I was looking to get one this last few months, but hard to get details in Ireland due to poor availability. Got details and price was over 7k, so decided there were better ways to spend that amount, and stopped looking.

1 Like

Le Corbusier LC1. Not an original but still a bit costly.
I used to have one of these and absolutely loved it for a hot seat. Not too reclined to prompt sleepage and not to forward to be over critical.

I had vinyl at the time and was an ideal shape to just spring out of when those run out grooves start.

Maybe a young man’s idea of the ultimate.

2 Likes

Great looking chair. Never sat in one but can imagine it being excellent.

I’ve got an Eames, not as a listening chair, that’s generally the sofa, but just as an occasional chair. It’s a replica that I bought new in Dublin but excellent build quality and looks the real deal, I think it was about €1200 10 years ago.Very comfortable though, I think it’s the fact the ottoman stool is slightly raised hence raising your feet slightly that makes it so comfortable

1 Like

It that for electro music, Jim? :grinning:

Sometimes you have to face the music;

2 Likes

CBR, MJ Flood on the Naas Rd in Dublin do them, or at least they used to, it’s where I got mine, it was around 12 or 1500 quid from memory, there’s a chap there called Declan who’s very helpful as we got a lot of office stuff off them at the time

That looks rather familiar

The cats don’t just pinch the best seats, they take the remotes too! :smirk_cat:

5 Likes

What is your chosen subject ?

2 Likes