What did Barry Manilow do to deserve this

Absolutely. Not a fan of his music, but becoming a fan of his comedy. Good on him. This one made me chuckle too…

4 Likes

If it hadn’t been for Cotton Eye Joe…:laughing:

What short memories you all have

Shame

Shame

Shame

Screenshot 2022-02-13 at 14.42.29

1 Like

I always believed that NZ was a civilised nation, but this is inhumane and degrading treatment - they’re playing James Blunt :astonished:

2 Likes

Anything that has been molested by Steven Wilson, perhaps…?

1 Like

My 84 year old father-in-law was relieved when the regimental magazine revealed Capt Blount was a ‘Tin’ and not a ‘Blue’! Life Guards rather than Horse Guards in what became the Household Cavalry.

1 Like

I’m not the man’s greatest fan but surely no human being deserves this!:flushed:

When I lived in NY, my wife told me we were going to a Manilow gig at Madison Sq Garden just 2 hours before kick-off. A friend had some spare tickets after her guests found out who it was, and NO takers. The standard response was ‘Hell No!’ Fair play though, he was a great showman, you realised you knew all the material and one of the earlier comments in this thread is correct. At least one probably.

1 Like

Perhaps the thread should be removed then, as the OP is specifically about a political tactic being implemented against a protest. Otherwise, isolated post removal suggests a bias.

1 Like

The thread is specifically about Barry Manilow, so I have allowed it so long as posts have concentrated on the issue of how effective or fair it is to use his music for such purposes. I have asked members to respect forum rules and so far, comment on the specific detail or the politics of the protests has been avoided. Well, in all cases bar one, and that I have removed.

1 Like

I thought it was a bit of light humour and was careful not to link to the specific story or expose any of the details/politics behind it, just going for cheap laughs on a Sunday.

I’ve no objections if the thread is removed @Richard.Dane

1 Like

I agree, it is all lighthearted. I confess to having seen Max Bygraves on a works Christmas do in Birmingham, he was a showman. I admire James Blunt for his self-deprecating posts and innovative change of career!

4 Likes

Has he changed? i assumed he was the SAS’s secret weapon - synchronise watches: right, you start singing at precisely 05:00

2 Likes

I has a post removed for simply saying that Twisted Sister’s “We’re not going to take it” was played in response to the Manilow track. So either it was on topic, or the complete topic is deemed political? Really, the whole topic is political and has even been condemned as an action by the Police.

1 Like

Post #2 also suggest that tear gas and water cannons should be deployed, so clearly a political statement there.

@Mike_S - Everyone is just having a little fun.
Take a chill pill, man! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

In London, I am convinced, classical music is used to prevent the congregation of young people in certain tube stations. That at least was my impression in the Northern part of Piccadilly Line. I haven’t been up there is a number of years — they might no longer do it, or they might have expanded the tactic.

Sadly South Western and Northern Line don’t do that. I rather enjoyed the classical music — obviously I am old…

1 Like

Oh good grief…If you couldn’t tell that was so completely tongue-in-cheek then I am sad for your powers of perception (rather, lack thereof). And there was no suggestion of anything one way or the other. :rofl:

1 Like

Fair enough, cheers. Lots of tension and division here for context.

1 Like

We need more Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson I think. I’m sure you’d agree.

1 Like