What do you regret NOT buying?

Back in 85 when I bought my Ariston RD80 I heard one of these
and my late wife actually offered me the chance to buy one but for some reason I declined, a decision I regretted probably until I got the CDS3.

1 Like

And one of these!

1 Like

That would be a total 7.1.‘statement’ set up with full 8 series B & W series speaker set up with appropriate cabling and source etc, however, handing over the keys of Buckingham palace for me to then sell to fund this arrangement it seems was not on King Charles list of priotities. Neither was having the main auditorium of the Royal Albert Hall available to buy in which to show off my new cinema room to my friends, still you can’t have everything, I still have my Nova!!

Red Ruby 1967 Bettle

8 Likes

I attended a company sponsored finance course, many years ago. The lady running the course asked if anyone had heard of Amazon; nobody had. Buy shares she said, they will be big she said… I didn’t :weary:

2 Likes

I had a couple of those - marvelous cameras.

1 Like

A bigger apartment for our first home. The first mortgage was so scary and we didn’t have kids. I remember looking at the penthouse suites on the top floor of the building we were buying our apartment and thinking only crazy people spend that on a flat in Tokyo.

In hindsight, we could have bought it. Should have bought it. Would have made the early years with the kids and working from home sooo much more pleasant.

I think first mortgages make everyone skittish though and not plan ahead enough.

Not made the same mistake on home No.2.

2 Likes

I couldn’t sleep for 3 nights with our first home loan, the thought of being half a million in debt scared made so nervous. Luckily we doubled our money in 8 years.

4 Likes

At one stage we had doubled in value, which is incredibly rare in Japan where real estate depreciates to zero in 34 years leaving only land value. But it was a trendy new area. Then the once in 100 years 2019 typhoon came and with it news stories of residents on the 50th floor with no electricity, elevator, or running water for 2 weeks and underground parking flooded with sewage. That knocked a chunk off so we only gained 50% in 6 years.

But if we’d gained 50% on the penthouse we didn’t buy we’d be in a great place financially. Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda and all that.

1 Like

Porsche 911 SC when they were about £12k about 8 years ago. You wouldn’t get much change out of £45k now for a decent one.

Some consolation is I bought a 944 S2 four years ago and that’s steadily on the increase.

1 Like

I was going to say a 1961 Olympic white collector-grade Stratocaster I saw on Denmark Street years ago. It was 26,000 pounds. I could have swung it at the time. But I’ve followed the pricing since then, and there have been times when an equivalent guitar could have been had for less. I’ve never even been remotely tempted to buy one. Priorities have changed, so I really have no regrets.

Ah, well, there are lots of things that I don’t regret not buying.

2 Likes

Financially biggest regret is not buying a 1928/29 Bentley for 100k. At the time I had just started a business and 100k would have wiped me out and looking at the bank manager to finance the business which I didn’t want. (Not beholden to anyone etc). The Bentley would have given a better return than the business ever did. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

Bitcoin at $0.09 in 2010

2 Likes

Luckily I did buy one- actually it’s a 66 but first registered in 67. Owned it for 30yrs. Used most days in the summer

11 Likes

what a beauty !!!

1 Like

Thank you. I did a full body shell off nut and bolt restoration myself (with the exception of the re spray- didn’t risk that!) about 10 years ago.
It’s slow. Noisy. Uncomfortable. Handles like a dog.
But I really enjoy driving it.

3 Likes

I had a 1303 from 73, kept it for 10 years, but an accident stopped its life.

I really luv my bug

1 Like

My father had an identical one from 1967, it was light blue :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Apple shares at $7 a share. I had $80k in cash in my home safe at the time …

2 Likes