What does a XPS DR bring to the party?

With my brief test of Spotify I found I could cheerfully nod off. I gave the 3 month sub away.

The room opens up to the left, doubles the size of the room, it is an odd shape. I did have some concerns about reflection, to the rear right of my listening chair there is a mini hall (4 or 5 feet)with a door. Sometimes it sounded like someone was knocking on the door because of the booming bass, and I was thinking about getting a rug. One day I borrowed a network cable (Nordost Blue Heaven) from my dealer just to see if there was any improvement over a stock standard network cable, it improved the sound greatly, it was like the difference when I heard a flatcap put on a Nait XS2 . And this is the part I have trouble believing, the booming sound went, there is no more knocking on the door any more. The only album I have now that gets a little bit bass strong is Brave New World by Iron Maiden and that is because I think some track have a double bass kick drum.

1 Like

Thank you, that is the confirmation I needed. My Naim journey started with SuperNait Mk1 feed by an Audiolab CD 8200. The 272/250 is obviously a superior combination, more detail, etc . The SuperNait just seemed to boogie more with rock music, just trying to get the boogie. I always suspected that because the 272 has a smaller transformer than the SuperNait it has more load on it powering a DAC, pre amp, network card, screen etc and it was really designed to have a XPS or a 555 connected.

I tried to see if my dealer could get a demo, but he didn’t want to get one in and potentially have it sit on the shelf. He didn’t think the new Australian distributor would supply a demo. But I feel assured now it is going to be money well spent.

Hi, I’ve replied to same suggestion from Suedkiez, I have some think curtains and furniture and the room opens up, it never seemed too bad to me. It might be something that I will try one day, but it was amazing when I put in the high quality network cable how much the sound improved, it was like you never new how dirty your windscreen was until you cleaned it. And any of the echo and bass boom I had went away. I have always been reluctant to share that on this forum because bringing up network cables and the improvement they bring sometimes seems to be like waving a red rag to a bull.

1 Like

It’s quite crazy really, but can’t argue with it :slight_smile: Still, even though the bass is much improved, a rug to tame the certainly quite strong floor reflections most likely will add as well.

I will try with a couple of blankets on the floor, I’m a bit of a minimalist, it makes it easy to keep clean having tiles, I just have to do a lap with a broom and occasionally a mop. But I’d be a bit of a fool if I ask for advice and when some is offered I ignore it.

All the best.

1 Like

When I got my 272/250 I already had an XPSDR so always used the 272 that way, at least until I decided on a radical system change last year. At one point during the changeover I had my old system back in play minus the XPS and was surprised how close to the original system it sounded.

Many on the 272 luvvies thread believe there’s a new version of the 272 due next year, so would it be worth holding off until next spring to see if the rumours are correct?

Roger

What sort of music do you play? I just think the 272 needs a little something extra when I am listening to rock or something with a strong beat.

I’m not too worried about the new 272 (if one appears), I have my TV plugged into it, my streaming is local and I listen to internet radio and Spotify to see if I like the album before I buy it. The 272 has all the functionality I need .

Sorry been off the air for a few days, think HH has wrapped it up pretty well. The only thing I’d add is listen first before you make your mind up if possible. I know I had a flat cap temporarily (waiting on my XPS DR) and it did all but nothing.

Agreed have a listen, did absolutely nothing for me.

OK not much heavy rock. Lots of jazz, though which often does demand good bass response.

I am sure an XPS would improve your system. My caution would be whether it’s an $8k improvement. There are several examples in the forum of folk who added an XPS to their 272 and very soon afterwards swapped it out for a 555PS.

Roger

I’d suggest, nah insist that with Naim PSUs, buy a couple of years old. A XPS Dr went on eBay recently for £2k less than retail. And a long way off needing a service. This helps with the value piece. Yes, go spend £4200 on a new box, bit it makes the decision a bit harder I’d expect.
Some of the lower end PSUs ( flatcap) really have very little in the box. But the 555 for example has some heavy duty transformer and capacitors under the hood. Even if the clever bit is the Dr regulation, that is similar, if not the same in the XPS.

Me too, but suspect the market for second hand Naim PSs in Australia may be pretty thin.

Roger

Or non existence :grin:

1 Like

There’s one that’s 3 months old on EBay. Someone will save a bit of $$$

There have been a few of late go for silly billy prices. Crazy, because what it brings to the party is nothing short of jaw drop-tastic. Music just sounds so effortlessly controlled that one can almost touch it during mid-flight.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.