What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Wonderful 1993 documentary, made not long after the collapse of Factory Records. As one might expect, this is NO (geddit?) ordinary band bio…

3 Likes

It’s a good’un.

3 Likes

We’re 3 episodes in. It’s great.

1 Like

Not seen this for many years and forgotten what a brilliant sci-fi movie it was. Shame the sequels give diminishing returns.

8 Likes

Any chance Richard could re-open the ‘What was the last movie you saw at the Cinema’ thread?

1 Like

Jamie, which thread is that? I know there was one on the old forum with that title.

Otherwise there’s this current one:

Whats the last movie you saw in the cinema?

Closed 25th July

Cheers

OK thanks. It was in the Padded Cell. Apologies, it’s not so easy on 3g and phone… Now opened for you,

Thanks Richard

Watched the first two on 4K. The sound on these, especially the second, is superb. Probably the best 4K disc sound I’ve heard yet.

6 Likes

1 Like

@Drikus I saw this in Foyles the other day and was tempted then I read a few reviews and passed on it. What’s your view?

They don’t make 'em like this any more. In glorious Technicolor, producer-cum-one-man-UK-film-industry Alexander Korda’s extraordinary 1940s Arabian Nights fantasy, directed mostly (but not completely) by the great Michael Powell remains a feast for the senses. Conrad Viedt is wonderful as the wicked Vizier and Rex Ingram splendid as the giant genie. The cinematography and effects (despite their age) are absolutely eye-popping.

Because of the war, production transferred from Blighty to Hollywood, but there’s still something oddly British about the whole thing (it might be the Powell touch). One can see why, in the grim early years of the war, this spectacular fantasy, with its glorious and rousing Miklos Rosza score, was such a commercial and popular success.

The transfer on this BD is superb - much better, incidentally, than on the trailer below.

2 Likes

One of the best films I saw lately. Great story and O’Toole is simply sublime here. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

Great thanks a while before I will get up to London so just ordered on Amazon.

Just finished watching Catch 22 on C4.

‘Catch’ it while you can - you won’t be disappointed.

1 Like

5 Likes

Could never really get past lines like “To know a man you have to fight him”. There was a faux-profoundness across the whole movie that grated for me. Very watchable, though. Not like the sequels. (Closing credits of #2 featuring RATM’s “Calm Like a Bomb” notwithstanding)

The main reason this 1974 Carry On is remembered today is because it marks the end of an era. The last with Sid in it, the last with Hat and Babs too. The final one scripted by Talbot Rothwell. There are a few laughs, and Sid is great as a lecherous, cackling highwayman, but there’s an air of melancholy about the whole thing.

7 Likes

Just watched this documentary again, detailing the rise of the committee in everyday life.

5 Likes