What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

The Fugitive

Tommy Lee Jones & Harrison Ford strut their stuff.

M

1 Like

3 Likes

1. A psychological horror. Great effects before the CGI takeover.
5 Likes

Based on a similar Icelandic tale that I have not seen.

Australia. Two uncommunicative brothers battle the authorities when a sheep illness overtakes the range.
Miranda is the vet.
Different,reasonable fun perhaps a bit schmalzy.
On Prime.

1 Like

Anatomy of Murder (1959)

A classic with sterling performances all round. But with strong opposition from the likes of Ben Hur it didn’t secure an Oscar for the cast.

Outstanding soundtrack from Duke Ellington with a nice cameo from the Duke himself.

6 Likes

Woody Allen - Manhattan.

Forgot how good this film is. Such fine acting, directing and the cinematography is superb. Look at this iconic shot, although when you Google it, they’re all cropped and you can’t make out the overhanging tree.

8 Likes

It’s well worth seeing the Icelandic version.

3 Likes

A delightfully acted, produced and directed(Billy Wilder) Agatha. Look at the headline cast and then expect further known faces to appear during the story. There are of course several twists and turns in the story before our final denouement.

Good quality mono print.
On Prime

7 Likes

More Prime searching….

Humanitarian workers in the ‘Balkans’ discover a corpse in the villagers’ well.This is is the tale of problems presented and barriers overcome.
Del Toro and Robbins do well as the hardened,wisecracking operatives.Thierry offering a fine account of idealism knocking up against reality.
Not sure about the love interest. The story line seems to wallow badly when Olga is on screen.
Light humour covers what must have been a hard job.

1 Like

Streamed this film. Beginning was quite promising but slipped quite quickly. If you fancy a no brainer entertainment film and bit of escapism with high body count then this is the film.
Overall quite fun but not one you’ll remember or necessarily recommend

2 Likes

A 1970 classic character study.

3 Likes

I agree, similarly the original swedish film adaptation of A Man Called Ove which I posted a while back, much better than the US remake with Tom Hanks imo

Enjoying this new drama from the Beeb. The fact based story of Brits and other nationalities invited to start a new life in Australia for just £10. The reality of which finds them encountering bigotry, discrimination, sexism and racism. It doesnt paint a very flattering picture of Australia in the '50s.

1 Like

No it certainly doesn’t but as pointed out on another thread it was no different to other western societies at that time.

While not prefect I think that thankfully we’ve grown up a little.

3 Likes

Hi Pete,
I thought you might pick up on this. I dont think the point of the drama is to single out Australia. As the Guardian review points out the principle characters do seem to have a bit of a 21st Century view in there opposition to the racism they encounter. That said I’m afraid that I dont agree that weve grown up a little (well maybe just a little) in this regard.

Think we’ve had this conversation before while some of those issues are still real a vast majority have grown up and now would be mortified at some of the things going on in this story. But what would you expect from a country that was born out of colonialism and all the baggage that entails. Hopefully the worm will turn.

1 Like

We have had similar conversation, sadly I struggle to agree that the vast majority have grown up, in my experience working in public facing/service roles, trade union/labour movement etc bigots, racists, facists etc are still very much alive, active and committing atrocities. There is in recent years an ongoing resurgence of a pernicious political climate around the world sending out dog whistles and green lights to the haters who are increasingly in my view/experience gaining confidence and power overground.
I’ve now retired but my last few years driving a Taxi was revealing and very mortifying, the seemingly ubiquitous amount of nasty bile being casually expressed unsolicited by punters (influenced by an increasingly fascistic media and politoco’s with agendas) was almost unbelievable and these people just come out and express this stuff as though everyone else thinks the same and its normal. On a number of occasions I put someone out of the cab for expressing hateful views. I sadly believe from my experience that there is still a vast majority of the general public who on the contrary havent grown up and as I already suggest are being emboldened to appear more overground.

At least programmes like this can initiate discussion of the issues but probably playing to the gallery, the haters will still hate and deny history until it repeats itself.

Whoa! When into one a bit there :roll_eyes:
:heart:

4 Likes

Unfortunately free speech gives these grubs air and a sense of entitlement.

1 Like

Ha yes! As history has shown those are the very same people who would shut down “free speech” given the chance.
Free speech that translates into denying other peoples freedoms, incitement to commit atrocities etc isnt “Free”
Anyway I sense Richard poised in the wings with the red card.
Have a good un Pete
:heart:

2 Likes

With a factual basis too, the US military and similarly in the UK at Porton Down where unwitting service personal were subject to bizarre experiments with hallucinogens.
There is an interesting documentary I have broadcast from many moons ago, might be able to find on Youtube or somewhere, titled Bad Trip To Edgewood, about Edgewwod Arsenal where “volunteer” service personnel had there minds messed up by military experiments.