What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Yeeeaaars since I’ve seen this.

Shows its age but jolly good!

2 Likes

One of those where I’d read the book (translated!) first and thought the movie version was actually OK as a resonable effort, albeit Cruised and Hollywoodised natch.

1 Like

Not quite as good as reviews had led me to believe but decent enough and a refreshingly short 90mins.

Been working my way to this one, and to be honest, I kept putting it off. I finally took the chance and was rewarded - Coda (2019), with Patrick Stewart. Great job overall, and vastly underrated on IMDB. These days, movie first, ratings later, and it generally works out better.

Amazon Prime. DVD print so grainy on a large screen.

Underrated western but a decent story.
Jack before every Nicholson performance became similar.
Brando with another weird performance. Arthur Penn gave up trying to direct him and just let him …….Brando.
Early Harry Dean Stanton.
Enjoyable.

8 Likes

Re-watched what is arguably Guy Ritchie’s best film to date, the wonderful Snatch from 2000. So much going on that it’s best not to avert one’s gaze. A film which proves what goes around, comes around…and you may want to ask what’s been fed to the pigs before you eat your bacon sandwich :grin:

2 Likes

Yes but you’re always going to have problems lifting a body in one piece.

So it’s worth the research.

A brilliant film and my favourite from Guy Ritchie. Always worth another viewing.

Guy Ritchie’s best film to date

That’s a pretty low bar, given that Ritchie is possibly the world’s least talented living film director, alongside Zack Snyder, Steven Brill, Uwe Boll and Michael Bay.

4 Likes

Get Shorty

Superb cast delivering a chuckle per minute script.

Love watching films with friends who haven’t seen the movie before, especially when they then agree with your assessment.

They weren’t so taken with Hobson’s Choice!

M

2 Likes

Seems to have mixed reviews but we enjoyed it.

Olivia Coleman as a depressed Cinema manager being taken advantage of by the boss Colin Firth. Has a relationship with new Black staff member Michael Ward who is a rude boy follower of the 2-Tone music scene. He gets hospitalised by racist skinheads hijacking a mod rally and she has a breakdown.
Set in 1980/81 and filmed in Margate (and Worthing) around the old Dreamland centre, the fading art deco cinema (with projectionist Toby Young) renamed as the Empire with some nice references to films that played at the time.
For me the film brought back memories of that time in my yoof, Margate holidays, references to Thatcher, Brixton and Manchester riots and 2-Tone music.
Its quite a lightweight film really but made very enjoyable by the casting and acting. It seems to attract some negative reviews from critics trying to analyse the film as something highbrow which it isnt and I dont think its trying to be.

5 Likes

More horse opera.

During a train robbery the remarkably wooden Delon leaving Bronson for dead escapes with the loot and Japanese ambassador’s sword.
Bronson wants the stolen cash. Mifune with a sense of Bushido honour needs the sword back and Delon dead.
Ms Andress is in and out of her shirt whilst portraying a duplicitous whore.
Directed by the early Bond man Terence Young.
To be found on Amazon Prime with a watchable print.

3 Likes

Kev, it was an attempt at an ironic comment, given how many goes he’s had since doing Snatch, a genre which he keeps returning to, I wonder why?

1 Like

Very silly, but still very enjoyable if you can stomach it.
Tony is always on the edge of stuffing it all up.
Great scene where he is eating humble pie with his mom. He apologises for being a jumped up arse with an attitude. She says that’s what got you out of this neighbourhood.

Best ending of all time.

What are you gonna do - you know what i wanna do? Strut.

1 Like

Did we have Bill Nighy’s Living mentioned before.

An old timer who since his wife’s death has run his life along a straight road and to a strict timetable is diagnosed with a terminal illness. He tries to break out of his mind set and do some honourable work and establish a gentle but caring relationship with a younger colleague.

Terminal cancer is covered by an ouch and a bloody handkerchief but apart from that an honest story and a paean to life’s last flings.
IMG_1840

Amazon Prime.

8 Likes

Fun movie set in the 80’s and filmed in the style of an 80’s movie. Some gory and ridiculous kills mixed with corny dialogue.

1 Like

The dependable Cranston infiltrates a Columbian drug cartel. Based on a true story.

1 Like

Oildale

An eighteen year old girl who is an aspiring country/folk singer struggling to care for her younger brother and 90 year old war veteran grandfather, their mother dead and father absent.
She takes to renting lodging for war veterans who become family and help her to write a song for the local Bakersfield song contest and save their home, to say any more would be a spoiler.

1 Like

I shall give that a whirl on Amazon Prime tonight.

Looks my cuppa’

1 Like

We watched Living at the weekend, enjoyed that too