What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Totally agree - Brilliant score (and film).

1 Like
1 Like

I enjoyed watching Black & Blue last night. Set in New Orleans against a post-Katrina backdrop, there are no great surprises here, but some tense moments, and as the odds stack up against her, you end up willing on Naomi Harris’ character to see justice done.

The Outlaw

A western famous for the dolly in on Jane Russell’s heaving assets. In fact it is somewhat more louche than that, but while this may have been pushing boundaries when it was made it is very tame by today’s lack of standards.

As a western this is really rather disappointing. Hollywood treatments of well known western characters in a story that is rather flimsy, built upon coincidence and improbabilities.

Don’t waste your time.

M

1 Like

Ulzana’s Raid

I had never heard of this western, and found it riveting. I have always found Burt Lancaster an extremely watchable actor, and here he is on fine form as a Calvary Scout with his Apache partner, who is the true protagonist of the film.

Ulzana leads a raiding party from a reservation and a game of deadly cat and mouse ensues, with each party trying to outwit the other, and settlers being gruesomely murdered; while the ‘good guys’ do some less than honourable deeds.

The situation is subject to some suitably spikey commentary as Lancaster coaches a young idealistic Leuitenant in the ways of Western warfare.

Recommended.

M

1 Like

As you may have noticed I am working my way through movies primarily before 1970 that are on YouTube, if they prove to be any good I will then buy them, such as Beat the Devil which has a BFI BluRay. Films that I would also avoid include:

The Second Chance - Debbie Reynolds; and
Captain Newman - Gregory Peck.

There are many great films from earlier decades, but there are good reasons why many have fallen off the radar!

M

From 1951, an incredibly low-budget sci-fi B picture. Chiefly of interest for its wonkiness, poor quality Cinecolor, the outrageously skimpy costumes and an appearance by a young Cameron Mitchell (later famous as Buck Cannon in the High Chaparral). Another joy of ancient sci-fi flicks is the way contemporary attitudes inform their vision of the future.

2 Likes

Brilliant and mention of the High Chaparral a cult series at school mainly because it was first shown in the UK on BBC 2 and unavailable to the majority of us whose parents still had old sets with only BBC 1 and ITV and you had to manually tune them in.

The Flight to Mars reminds I need to give Ed Wood another viewing soon.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

4 Likes

I’m afraid I much preferred Alicia Vikander…

And there is another film in production

I have all the 3 movies so far. But my preferences go to Angelina Jolie.

They are far from the worst movies in the genre. Entertainment, for sure.

1 Like

Beside entertainment I have no huge expectations.

Lara Croft: The cradle of life

post-1-0-61659000-1441568844

3 Likes

From 1973, another age, another country almost. This film version of the famous farce isn’t funny of course, and the plot about some dirty books and blue movies accidentally delivered to a strait-laced bank in Windsor is stretched beyond all credulity. But, on the plus side, it’s got absolutely everyone in it (look up the movie’s Wiki or IMDB entry).

2 Likes

It took me a long while to plough through the book so tonight we will be watching the 2:34 hours from 1965 film.

2 Likes

Seem to recall this was shot around Windsor.

One of my favourite sites is Reelstreets (stills from the film v. current day shot).

Here is the page for this film:-

https://www.reelstreets.com/films/no-sex-please-were-british/

1 Like

This is a great documentary

Nestled in Greenwich Village, Carmine Street Guitars is a showcase for Rick Kelly’s custom instruments—and heaven on earth for music fans. Repurposing wood from storied New York establishments, Kelly crafts stunning Telecasters that double as lightning rods for musical luminaries. Ron Mann’s documentary invites us into this singular establishment where the esteemed likes of Bill Frisell, Nels Cline, Elanor Friedberger, Jim Jarmusch and Charlie Sexton stop by to sample the wares and share some songs.

IS this on Netflix? Please direct me, or is it dvd only?
@osprey