What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

thanks for the reminder Andy, I will have to search this one out - I do remember enjoying this first time round.

1 Like

On Netflix.

The experienced bodyguard Sam (Noomi Rapace) has an heiress as a customer. When threatened, Sam does everything to protect the heiress. She also teaches her to fight back.

Starring: Noomi Rapace, Sophie Nélisse, Indira Varma.

2 Likes

A classic - just beautiful.

2 Likes

I was briefly responsible for a couple of underground coal mines in WV. Based on the trailer, the look of the movie and the underground environment is perfectly authentic. I’m sure the plot is a little implausible, but the premise of underground disaster (explosion, fall-of-ground, in-rush and entrapment - although perhaps not all at once) is completely valid.

3 Likes

Saturday morning history lesson.

Just read on wikipedia that the ‘Infamy…’ piece was voted the funniest one liner in movie history back in 2007🙂

10 Likes

And I remembered Amanda Barrie is actually a very decent actor!

1 Like

Raised by Wolves…even the opening track is fantastic! Crazy strange, imho one of the best SciFi series out there.

Frankie (Isabelle Huppert) , a successful actress is dying of cancer and has a family and a friend reunion in Portugal. Personally I did not care for any of the characters nor for the story the way it was told so two thumbs down is my verdict.

1 Like

5 Likes

2 Likes

Why don’t you get off the fence and tell us what you really think?

:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

1 Like

I remember going into Forbidden Planet and they had a model off Kenneth Williams as Caesar which repeated those lines.

I should have bought it.

1 Like

Hopefully it will be out on Blu Ray at some point .

The trailer looked stunning .

Emily Blunt is excellent in this 2016 psychological thriller – the problem is, it’s all a bit shouty and convoluted (but on the other hand, other story twists are so heavily signposted it’s difficult not to feel the plot is battering you over the head); also that by the time the twists have been resolved and the reveal comes, you find yourself not caring all that much. Nice scenery though.

3 Likes

Emily Blunt maintains an effectively tortured look nearly all the way through this movie.

I read the book first which I enjoyed (rather more subtle) and then got round to watching the film - I do agree with your comments regarding the ‘telegraphing’. It is important to get the casting right and I am not sure that they did that to get you to care enough.

An uncharacteristically low-key film from Thomas Vinterberg, Commmune is set in late 1970s Copenhagen. Bourgeois architecture teacher Erik (Ulrich Thomsen) inherits the house he grew up in from his late father. It’s too big for him and his newsreader wife Anne (Trine Dyrholm in a real eye-popping performance) and their shy but intelligent daughter Freja, so they have the very 1970s idea of creating a commune. All goes well for a bit but then life’s small details, human nature, everyday jealousies, needs and desires intervene; the daily house meetings and emotional audits become an oppressive drag and the result is… well, I won’t spoil the plot.

It’s a good film, directed with confidence and excellently played by the Danish ensemble cast but it would have perhaps made a better two-part TV drama. There is however, one outstanding moment: Twhen Freja discovers what is going on between her mum and dad, and that her dad has embraced the whole 1970s free love thing, and for a long, long minute it isn’t at all clear how the teenaged girl – clearly hurt, shocked, bewildered and scared – is going to react.

2 Likes

My Cousin Vinny

Had a film night with some friends who had never seen this. If you somehow missed this do yourself a favour and put it on your to see list ASAP.

M

3 Likes