What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

I have just finished watching this excellent French film: wonderful (true) story brought to life with some terrific acting, great humour and pathos from a subject that wouldn’t immediately grab the attention.

7 Likes

A fantastic film @PaulM - I thoroughly enjoyed it! A very bitter sweet movie with emotional highs and lows, and some important life tips - “life is for living and you only get one shot at it”!

I see that it was remade (‘The Upside’) recently with Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart - have not seen it though, and unsure how it compares to the original.

1 Like

Iconic film @anon56864344 - the most memorable part for me was the bet to eat 50 hard boiled eggs - grosses me out just to think about it now!

ATB. George.

4 Likes

Thanks GeeJay, I didn’t realise this but I should have guessed; the US has a habit of remakes. I have to say that for me the French version will take some beating; it has subtleties that I can’t see translating too well.

1 Like

One of the best in this quintessentially English series. CoC has it all: a cracking and ribald Talbot Rothwell script; thirty-something Babs playing a schoolgirl, pursued by lecherous, scheming and cackling Sid James (as Sid Boggle); Bernard Bresslaw as Sid’s dim-witted best mate; Dilys Laye and Joan Sims as the put-upon girlfriends; Kenny Williams as Dr Soaper, the mincing principal of Chayste Place and Hattie J as the lust-crazed matron; Hawtrey as the scrounging freeloader Charlie Muggins; and best of all, Peter Butterworth as the grasping farmer/campsite owner Mr Fiddler and Betty Marsden as the ghastly Mrs Potter and Terry Scott as her henpecked husband.

Williams delivers the immortal line; “Matron! Take them awy!” and Sid even dresses as a hippy. Cinema doesn’t get any better.

7 Likes

Lovely blu-ray transfer of Max Ophuls’ 1950 classic, a dazzling cinematic adaption of Arthur Snitzler’s play. The breaking of the fourth wall by the film’s narrator was pretty innovative for the time, and the picture was considered pretty racy for 1950!

wonderful performances from the cast too, especially the great Anton Walbrook.

2 Likes

I have had a few box sets of the Carry on films ( they get borrowed and not returned ) and I can not think I have a favourite one, as they all have their moments. Although that scene where they are all dining as proper English do while the Khazi of Kalabar blitz the place is priceless.

AAD4107A-399B-4B2E-A5E5-6F28689026F9-3104-0000038708630667

6 Likes

Yes Tobes, Khyber is a good one. Sir Sidney-Ruff Diamond is one of Sid’s best roles. And Brother Belcher’s (Peter Butterworth) reactions during the climactic dinner when the residency is under attack from Bungit Din and his Burpas and Randy Lal, the Khasi of Kalabhar are, as you say, just priceless.

2 Likes

…watched this the other night with the wife, thoroughly enjoyed the movie!

A Star Is Born

(Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga)

1 Like

…another movie watched at home that we found quiet enjoyable and recommend. A fine story covering the events over a decade of time in the life Neil Armstrong leading to the historic Apollo 11 flight.

First Man

(Ryan Gosling)

1 Like

Yes, excellent film. Not quite what I was expecting, and better for it.

Hard not to like that one.

I just don’t get that humour. Might have to give one of them another go.

It’s very English/British humour, @winkyincanada, and very much of its time (late 1950s to early 1970s), based around groansome puns, sexual innuendo, class, repressed sexuality/homosexuality. The best ones are spoofs: Carry On Screaming (Hammer horror), CO Up The Khyber (British Empire heroics), CO Cleo (Cleopatra), CO Spying (James Bond - the Soviet secret service is called STENCH); based around hospitals (CO Nurse, Doctor, Matron) and traditional British activities (package holidays for CO Abroad, campning for CO Camping, workplace relations and outings for CO At Your Convenience).

They were all very cheaply made, mostly hugely successful here in the UK, and despite their smutty reputation, they are oddly, and rather touchingly, innocent (except for the later ones, made after Sid died, which are a bit crass and rather grubby).

I hear you. It’s been years since I’ve seen one. Like I said I might look one up for a laugh (literally).

1 Like

9 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

8 Likes

8 Likes