What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

A bit of a mixed bag but not that bad.

1 Like

Set in New York City, the plot involves the interaction between two women – a bored housewife and a bohemian drifter – linked by various messages in the personals section of a newspaper.

3 Likes

Jane Eyre 1943

Spent last week down in the New Forest. When we arrived I realised I hadn’t bought any films, but I had some I had on the laptop …no comms where we were.

I had never seen this version which has some well know actors including Elizabeth Taylor & Agnes Moorehead. The leads were excellent.

This may well be amongst my favourite interpretations of this story, which of course includes two howling coincidences. In order to fit a feature film there has been some heavy, and in my view, well judged pruning.

M

2 Likes

I watched “The Batman” last night. It is much better than I expected. It has a great tone and mood to it. Easily the darkest Batman movie I have ever seen.

3 Likes

Night People 1954

This was a surprise. A well judged and engrossing thriller starring Gregory Peck as the intelligence colnel in post WWII Berlin. A serviceman is kidnapped and, through convoluted routes, offered in exchange for two aging Germans. The thorn in Peck’s side is the wealthy serviceman’s father who arrives to apply pressure.

Superb.

M

2 Likes

Jason & the Argonauts - 1963

Haven’t watched this for a fair few years, stands up well.

M

6 Likes

Staying On

Play set in Northern India in a post-Raj India with two aging Brits contemplating the end, played by Trevor Howard & Celia Johnson joined by Saeed Joffrey, based on Scott.

This is on YouTube and well worth your time.

M

2 Likes

Ivanhoe - 1952

Robert Taylor and Liz Taylor. This is a tale I love and the Hollywood spectacular does a pretty good job of translating the story.

For me the only slight let down is that the sacrifice made by De Bois-Guilbert, played by the inimitable George Sanders, was not more clearly delineated. His sacrifice for Rebecca truly lifts this adventure into tragedy.

M

1 Like

Modesty Blaise - 1966

I only managed the first ten minutes!

M

I am right with you on this one: it was on the box a week or two ago and is a wonderful film of a classic story. Just great.

Game Night

Comedy thriller starring Jason Bateman & Rachel McAdams. If you like these guys, and I do, then it delivers.

Fun 100 minutes.

M

1 Like

It was a limited repertoire of films I had to hand but, as it turns out, pretty good for a few nights entertainment.

1 Like

The twists & the turns work really well & I love the scene with the white dog :grinning:

1 Like

This 90-minute drama (made in 2007) about the last few years of Robert Maxwell’s life is currently on the iPlayer. David Suchet is utterly fantastic as the fat pension-stealing monster. Deserved his Emmy for that one.

2 Likes

More Maxwell - Watched first two episodes of House of Maxwell - very good.

1 Like

The Truffle Hunters 2020 - dug this up on BBC iplayer. Marvellous.

1 Like

The Sparks Brothers on Netflix - a highly entertaining and informative documentary.

2 Likes

Another pick from iplayer.

1 Like

Just watched this on Prime. A very profound and moving film with great acting from both Anthony Hopkins & Olivia Coleman.

81rnL0hgxrL.AC_UY436_QL65

1 Like

2 Likes