What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

1 Like

Well made and quite entertaining.

3 Likes

A sweet,sweet romance hiding a well of despair.
Tucci is rapidly loosing his place in life because of dementia.
Firth is committed to caring for him till the very end.
Wonderful portrait of love and hopelessness.

Been down a very similar road.

Due for streaming on Sky but I purchased the bluray.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Roman Holiday 1953
I really enjoyed this movie. Dalton Trumbo the story writer was black listed at the time and was not in the credits.
It’s a romantic romp through many Roman locations with two very charismatic stars. Overall, to me, it is a story of honour and respect. A gracious and beautiful film.

4 Likes

7 Likes

On Amazon Prime or the IMDb link
Fine Northern Irish vengeance story.
Independent production with out any big names but no worse for that.
Good story. Realistic settings. Modest but unusual violence. Well reviewed.

1 Like

Seems odd to appraise eXistenZ with the usual means with movies, as this plays out like a book that would seem impossible to translate to screen.
Nevertheless Jude and Jennifer have a very visually appealing chemistry that navigates one through the utter bizarreness.

2 Likes

I watched it again before going to see Top Gun 2 in the theatre. The new one has more action and its aerial cinematography is much more sophisticated (though Tom Cruise is filmed solely sitting in the back seat of the F-18) but I definitely prefer the original. I wish they had stopped portraying fighter pilots as childish teenagers full of bravado who never stop chattering on the radio, it would have made the film a little more believable.

1 Like

Even for a fan of hokey Hammer movies and naff Brit-TV sitcom spinoffs like me, this 1972 atrocity makes for grom viewing. Was it funny 50 years ago? It was certainly a big box office hit.

4 Likes

I love watching those old on the buses just to perv over the lovely young Anna Karen.

1 Like

Neither the sitcom or movie are much cop are they…Even as a kid I thought the TV series was crap and wondered why all the ‘dolly birds’ were so enamoured with Old Man Reg Varney.

1 Like

Watching it on ITV3 right now.
I used to enjoy the series and the film back in the day. Watching it today, I wonder why?

From 1998, the queen of variations.

2 Likes

Hopscotch - 1980

Thoroughly enjoyed this spy romp. Walter Matthau in fine form very ably supported by Glenda Jackson, Herbert Lom and Ned Beatty.

Matthau exhibits a too independent attitude and is removed from the field in order to see out his time in filing. He decides to remove himself from the CIA files and pursue and even more independent future …and so the fun ensues.

The ending is somewhat wishful, but this in no way reduces the fun of this smile inducing film.

M

2 Likes

Brilliant film - love the scenes when Glenda Jackson drives back via Ramsgate on the hovercraft. My favourite cafe is there but the hover port has all but vanished.

2 Likes

Acclaimed paleontologist Mary Anning works alone selling common fossils to tourists to support her ailing mother, but a chance job offer changes her life when a visitor hires her to care for his wife.

1 Like

6 Likes

The Graduate - BBC iPlayer

A film I had never watched, and an interesting movie it is. The first half is the most amusing, with some wonderful dialogue and manipulation of the rather naive Ben, played by Hoffman. Bancroft is suitably attractive and wonderfully louche.

The second half of the film follows the arrival of Bancroft’s daughter, Elaine. Here a certain amount of leeway has to be given in order not to question the immediate attraction of Ben and Elaine, especially after the very funny scene in the strip joint.

As unlikely as the resolution is I enjoyed the final elongated scene in the bus.

Apparently there is a follow up novel, which I will make a point of reading.

Superb soundtrack, of course.

M

5 Likes

Wings of Fame - 1990

This is a film with a number of excellent elements that do not resolve into a good film, but my attention was still held. I suspect I will not re-watch it, but I am glad to have seen it.

The acting is good and presents the script in its best light, with a young Colin Firth and Peter O’Toole at the end of his time as a leading actor.

The film itself has Firth murdering O’Toole and being transported to a purgatory by the Ferry Man. Here you are assigned a room based upon your ongoing earth-bound fame.

There are some excellent moments and pathos. Ultimately the final resolution I felt was weak and that there was no deeper feeling or message delivered, just a lighter feel good moment.

M

1 Like