What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

9 Likes

Just completed watching The English on iplayer.
We enjoyed it a lot, a bit of a slow burner and occssionally a little confusing but it all makes sense in the end.
The story although fiction appears to be inspired by some factual events and nice to see a Western going some way to depict the reality of the injustices and horror inflicted on Native Americans. The intro reminds me of Sergio Leone and throughout with its array if bizarre characters kept making me think of A Fistful Of Dollars etc.
Lovely UHD picture looks great on my OLED

download.jpeg

3 Likes

Locke is a brilliant film and Tom Hardy one of my fave actors

2 Likes

I won’t buy a tv license so will have to wait for it to appear on bluray.
Looks good.
Amazon Prime in Australia.

I finished it a couple of weeks ago, like you I found it a bit confusing and there’s definitely a few gaps in the story. I did mention on another thread that I thought it was a reasonable depiction of how the west was really won.

1 Like

Stolen :wink:

1 Like

Flight/Risk

Eye opening investigation into the appaling tragedy of the two Boeing 737 Max planes that crashed killing all on board. A Whistleblower and Seattle Times journalist reveal the greed, incompetence, corruption that infects Boeing, FAA and US Government in its covering up and of course the grief of the family’s in the face of Boeings denials.
Summed up as"American Corporate culture" and “Predatory Capitalism”

2 Likes

Yes. The way that Boeing was allowed to mark its own homework was appalling, as was the use of lawyers to swoop in and use tactics to minimise payouts to grieving relatives.

2 Likes

And persuading the airlines not to give additional training to the pilots even when it was requested, all to save money, the internal emails at Boeing revealing how “I just convinced these fools not to take training…I save this company a shitload of $$$$$$”. There own forecasts/research predicted that statistically 15 of these plans were likely to crash but they didnt give a sh*t!

The whole thing stinks, I wouldn’t fly Boeing now. At least the attorneys in the end won the recignition for full compensation for all the relatives, not that any amount of money could compensate and its still a drop in the ocean to Boeing who still are in denial.

1 Like

Actually, while I’m at it something else that got me angry and shouting at the telly! :joy:

Have a look at the latest series 10 episode 1 on All4 of 24hrs In Police Custody, the conclusion and verdict is simply outrageous. The guy reacted in the heat of the moment and his actions were dangerous and reckless no doubt but the conclusion is so unjustly disproportionate and unbalanced.

I think my next viewing choices shall be something a bit less blood pressure inducing :joy:

2 Likes

Boeing were lucky in one way, around the same time there was a total hull loss at Heathrow of a 787 due to a faulty battery , again as I understand it down to a design flaw - the 787 was parked - so nobody was killed

1 Like

Makes me think of an aircraft sales plot run by Arfur Daley

1 Like

Where The Crawdads Sing

We quite enjoyed this murder/coming of age tale, mixed reviews but were not familiar with the book

2 Likes

The Confession

Interesting true crime drama/documentary which has some annoying flaws in its presentation.
Was Keith Hall guilty of murder, or an innocent man the focus of over zealous police, or a guilty murderer who went free after legally misguided methods by the police?

Another Round, streamed via Netflix. Not often that I identity with the characters in a movie, but with this film I did, especially after many years in higher education. All of the cast are simply fabulous, and as ever, Mads Mikkelsen is mesmerising. Highly recommended for anyone who’s faced the ups and downs of (middle) ageing, relationship issues, career doldrums and worked through it all to come out the other end. Life affirming.

6 Likes

Sounds great, but I can’t find it on Netflix NZ unfortunately.

1 Like

It’s only recently been added to UK Netflix, so assume it’ll be heading to their other regions soon - well worth watching when it lands.

1 Like

I do love a good Arnie. This daft prison break actioner ticks all the boxes – and for once, Sly is quite good. It’s also got Vinnie Jones and 50 Cent in it…

1 Like

A movie of a kind that doesn’t get made any more – a vast, three-hour, idealised “taming of the west” epic, set between the 1830s to the late 1880s and featuring dozens of stars and directed with great aplomb by Henry Hathaway – who knew a thing about Westerns – with contributions from John Ford and George Marshall. Featuring superb cinematography from the likes of William Daniels and Milton Krasner, and a stirring score by Alfred “Randy’s Uncle” Newman, it’s a sumptuous spectacle, and there’s added fun to be had in spotting all the stars and featured players.

I would love to see the picture in its original Cinerama format, on the big curved wraparound screen (the trailer below gives you a rough idea)

10 Likes

A wonderfully compelling open-ended storyline. Demands a follow-up movie.

9 Likes