What first: PSU or new speakers?

Hi @Thomas7string.

I don’t fully understand your first sentence. English is not my first language. But if I offended in any way it was not my intention and I am sorry about that.

Oh, now I understand, haha. I felt inspired by the Netflix series ”Lucifer” at the time.

Regarding the Hicap vs Hicap dr I found the latter cleaner and smoother sounding. However, the Hicap was about 7 or 8 years old and the DR was new. So that might have had an effect.

All the best
Lucifer

1 Like

Hahaha, love it. Just a bad joke on your nick :wink: I am from Norway, so english is far from first language for me as well :slight_smile:

I see. I will try to audition them both. If possible. Not the easiest to be fair, but with some luck!

-T

1 Like

Then we are neighbours. My hytte is only 50km from the border and it’s roughly 90 km to Mo i Rana.

1 Like

What’s your town?

My cabin is In Umfors but I live in Umeå

Umeå! The best hardcore scene in the world. So many legendary bands from the 90’s! Love it.

Ok, I have a friend from Gällivare :slight_smile: Not too far from you? Or Umeå at least?

Hello, I understand the 82 with two HiCaps is the sweet spot, an SC is better but not by much, so if two x HC2 or HC2DR are out of reach it might be worth considering a pair of olive HiCaps if they are serviced.

Naim power supplies generally do bring a lot of improvement wherever they are used in the component chain.

My HiCaps are olive and chrome bumper non-DR models.

Given that the DR technology is designed to provide cleaner power I assume the DR HiCaps would undoubtedly be better than older ones, but I guess it all depends on cost/availability if you are looking at pre-owned as new the only option would be DR.

I have 2 non-DR NAP 250s which are excellent. I have heard a NAP 250DR/300DR and they are definitely better - silence is ‘blacker’ and control generally better (the 300DR is phenomenal), though perhaps the older ones sound warmer to some extent.

I suspect someone else will be able to more accurately describe differences, but I think either HiCap would be a real boost.

Some info on the technology:

https://www.naimaudio.com/connection-magazine/21950/naim’s-dr-power-amplifiers-taking-you-inside-music

I’m not really up to date on current speakers but can understand the perils your hi-fi faces with young kids in the house!

When my son was very young I simply Gated off the Room my Hifi was in. As he got older and could understand no, and the implications of touching Dad’s stuff I never had any problems

I have an 82 and had one olive hicap and then added another olive hicap with a 250CB. Then went 2 x 135s and changed to a Suoercap 2 non DR.

The hicap is needed to run the 250. The 2nd hicap improved things alot. The Supercap even more. Having had them all but non DR the Supercap is worth it. But 1 or 2 hicaps are both excellent.

But source first!

Have got Focal Aria 936s, large floorstanders, reasonably priced with plenty of oomph.

Hi NFG,

Will one single HiCap be able to power up both the 82 and the Stageline N? I will see what the bay can offer. Thanks.

-T

I suspect any HiCap would be an upgrade. I will be on the lookout.

Standmounts and kids (5 and 8) is not good for the heart…

-T

With a dedicated room I would mos def do the same. However, the hi-fi is in the main living room. In about 10 years I will have the spare room I crave :wink:

I see. I will probably move up the psu ladder in one way or another.

The “source first” is sorted with the Lilnn streamer/ DAC. Sounds faboulus. Speakers on the other hand… Well it is kinda sorted because i really enjoy the Focus 160’s. But I suspect I will enjoy a good floorstander even more.

-T

No, a Hicap can only power one device at a time.

Ok. Thanks Chris. So two HiCaps would be preferable given that I use the StageLine.

Which brings me to another question regarding psu’s: How is the Flatcap 2 compared to the onboard psu in the NAP 200 non DR? I suspect that the onboard psu in the 200 beats the Flatcap 2 in terms of powering up my NAC 82. But I wouldn’t know for sure. I ask because if the Flatcap is the better one it could power up both the 82 and the SL, and relieve the 200 as a psu.

-T

Why not try the Flatcap on the 202, especially if your main source is digital?

My sources is Linn Majik DS and Pro-Ject 1Xpression into Stageline N, before the NAC 82. I might just try it, but something tells me that the onboard psu of the NAP 200 is better than FC2. Dunno why…

-T

I’ve never had a Flatcap of any descriptuon but a quick search suggests a FC2 can power 2 devices - 82 and stageline may be too much for it, you’d presumably need a 2nd SNAIC, but I’d at least try it on the 82 alone - if it gives a boost it may show a little of what a HiCap would offer.

I used to own Dynaudio focus 160’s, they do not have any way to screw them to stands without DIY, which would ruin the speaker bottoms. I used the Dynaudio stand 4’s with mine at the time with bluetac, which made them really secure. Other than a kid tackling them, or a direct hit from a dog, that is all you really need, my stands were filled with dried sand. I later changed to C1’s, which do have screw inserts on the bottom, but are more top heavy.